Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost heating after SW update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Christine69420

Autopilot's Assistant
Supporting Member
Oct 19, 2018
Scandiwegian
This morning my TMX 90D 2017 had a software update.

Excellent, I thought and updated to 2018.50.6.

Later today I went for a drive and realized I did not get any heat from the climate system.

Cooling works, not heating.

Tried all the resets I know:
  • Scrollwheels for big screen reset
  • Above scrollwheels for instruments reset
  • Four finger + brake for deep reset
  • Power off in menu then wait a minute then start
  • Change display language so it resets
Nothing gave me my heater back. Tried each atleast twice. So lots of resets.

It did work this morning before the update. Cold outside.

Also tried to set the temp to LO then HI.
Manual and automatic tested.
Manual A/C off did not produce any heat either.
Parked the car for a while. Then came back and retried. No heat.

I have a Service Centre nearby and will visit them. But is there anything else I can try myself over the weekend?

after my .50 update, I parked and went inside. When I came back out like 5 hours later, the middle screen was on (and no dash) and my heater was running! The car was non-responsive except that I can open the door. I was down to 80 miles on rated range and was like WTF! Luckily I came down otherwise I would have been bone dry in the morning. Had to reset the whole care and everything worked as normal after that.... weird...

I don’t know if it’s related to the update, but I noticed my REAR heat wasn’t working. Even after running for several minutes it was cool or at most slightly warm air coming out of the side vents.

I don’t have rear passengers in the X often and not sure I’ve ever tried it in the winter before, so possible it’s been this way for a long time!

Anyway, trip to the Service Center has been scheduled to install the HEPA filter so I tacked this onto the list!

My 2018 X with 7.5K miles lost the heater last week. 20 degrees outside and they wanted me to wait until April for a service appointment 309 miles away. I was like, yeah that’s not happening. Finally got them to agree to send out a mobile tech, who contacted me, said he diagnosed the issue and was ordering the part to install on March 5th. Better than April, but why are these heaters dropping like flies?

• Informative
Reactions: Christine69420
This happened to me too 2 weeks ago. I drove to the SC right away and left with a loaner.

Since then I came back because my driver door would not open

now I have a lose screw in the door that is moving with my car....... I asked for a mobile tech.

I wish they would give me a Roadster loaner, to at least enjoy these trips.

The heat, especially for the rear (including those with the 6/7-seat option that includes separate heating element for the back), is awful on the Model X. One of, if not my biggest complaint (and of my rear passengers) of the car. Took it to service to have them look into it and was basically told, "sorry man, this is just the way the X is" and was even taken into another Model X they had being serviced. It's frustrating as I deferred on the PUP Package (March 2018 build date) largely because of the two zone cooling/heating of the 7-seater. Had I known I would have purchased that package, which is now included standard of course.