Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost HPWC password

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While waiting for the Tesla Wall Connector to come back in stock, found a used one at a good price and bought it. (not sure which generation- it's glossy black and NOT the signature version) It's in great condition, but the problem is the original owner lost the quick start guide and never used the wifi feature. As a result, the wifi password is the original default password, and is unknown. Does each unit have a unique default password?

Is there a way to reset the unit to factory settings, and regenerate a default password?

Any other advice?

Thanks...

While waiting for the Tesla Wall Connector to come back in stock, found a used one at a good price and bought it. (not sure which generation- it's glossy black and NOT the signature version) It's in great condition, but the problem is the original owner lost the quick start guide and never used the wifi feature. As a result, the wifi password is the original default password, and is unknown. Does each unit have a unique default password?

Is there a way to reset the unit to factory settings, and regenerate a default password?

Any other advice?

Thanks...
If it's gloss black it's 2nd gen. An easy way to tell visually (other than the color) is that it will have the little hanger in the side of the main body to hang the nooozle in.

Also, WiFi isn't a thing on the 1st and 2nd gen HPWC. It's new for 3rd gen so there's no password since there's no WiFi. They need a comm cable between the daisy chained HPWC to communicate locally among themselves and the car(s) but no way to "call home" or access via WiFi or home network.

Lastly, the gen 2 is not likely to come back in stock. They discontinued them once when the gen 3 came out and only put them back in stock temporarily until they cleared out the remaining inventory. It's doubtful we'll see them again so secondary market values will probably start climbing again like they did last time. Over $1,000 for a signature wasn't uncommon when they discontinued them w/o warning the first time.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yup, it has the little area to hang the nozzle, so Gen 2 it is. This explains why he didn't use the wifi!

As for resale, I'm not too concerned. The only small regret in not purchasing a new one is I'm leaving rebate money on the table from my power company. I suppose if the gen 3 came back in stock, I could buy it, get the rebate, and sell this gen 2. It would wind up being about the same price after rebate. I paid $350 for this gen 2.

Thanks, I best let the seller know as he's currently tearing his house apart looking for the quick start guide.

If it's glo
Yup, it has the little area to hang the nozzle, so Gen 2 it is. This explains why he didn't use the wifi!

As for resale, I'm not too concerned. The only small regret in not purchasing a new one is I'm leaving rebate money on the table from my power company. I suppose if the gen 3 came back in stock, I could buy it, get the rebate, and sell this gen 2. It would wind up being about the same price after rebate. I paid $350 for this gen 2.

Thanks, I best let the seller know as he's currently tearing his house apart looking for the quick start guide.
I'd be worried if he DID use WiFi. lol

Beware that there are larger differences between the gen 2 and gen 3 then there were between gen 1 and gen 2. The gen 2 largely remained the same basic dimensions in terms of cable length (8.5 or 24ft), width and housing size (with the addition of gloss black as an option like you have... silver was previously the only option for the cover) but added the ability to daisy chain them together which allowed shared power between multiple cars where it used 2-way communication to determine which car got how much of the available juice on a shared circuit breaker. The gen 3 adds WiFi (connectors still can talk to each other to balance load but they each get their own breaker and communicate via WiFi network), shortens the cable to 18ft as well as shrinks the thickness of the cable dramatically. It also limits the total power it can handle which only matters if you have a Model S/X that has the upgraded high-speed A/C charger option. All are great options depending on your personal needs since they all achieve the same thing in different ways.

BTW, the Gen 2 aren’t daisy chained for power. The power cabling is direct to each one or ‘y-ed’ off from a splitter. The only thing that you could even call daisy-chained is the communication cabling for the data line that controls the charging when running both/more at the same time. Common misconception that the power is daisy-chained.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The gen 3 adds WiFi (connectors still can talk to each other to balance load but they each get their own breaker and communicate via WiFi network),
Well, let's keep that clear for people:
That is a feature that Tesla has said that they eventually, plan to roll out in an update at some unknown point out in the future. But for now, the Gen 3 does not have that functionality, and there is no idea of when it may eventually get that.

And yes, the Gen 3 can only do max 48A, as opposed to the 80A from the older ones. As of now, the Gen 3 is a worse, less capable unit than the Gen 2.
[Hmm, is my bitterness apparent at how they deployed a pathetically unfinished product?]

BTW, the Gen 2 aren’t daisy chained for power. The power cabling is direct to each one or ‘y-ed’ off from a splitter. The only thing that you could even call daisy-chained is the communication cabling for the data line that controls the charging when running both/more at the same time. Common misconception that the power is daisy-chained.
Listen man, I'm trying to have a hundred-mile conversation with somebody without getting caught up in the minutia. If you have a problem with my use of the term "daisy chain" then you need to take it up with Tesla because that's specifically what they call it in their technical install manual. The OP of this thread is clearly seeking very basic information so getting into a debate over semantics is helping nobody and serves only to further cloudy the waters. Like it or not, the Gen 2 HPWC is capable of sharing a single circuit breaker. By most layman definitions that means that they can be daisy chained off of the same breaker. There's really no sense getting into anything other than that cursory statement for purposes of this thread.

Well, let's keep that clear for people:
That is a feature that Tesla has said that they eventually, plan to roll out in an update at some unknown point out in the future. But for now, the Gen 3 does not have that functionality, and there is no idea of when it may eventually get that.

And yes, the Gen 3 can only do max 48A, as opposed to the 80A from the older ones. As of now, the Gen 3 is a worse, less capable unit than the Gen 2.
[Hmm, is my bitterness apparent at how they deployed a pathetically unfinished product?]
Agreed but I'm still thinking of it from a hardware installation standpoint. Each one is exclusive to its own circuit in a wiring schematic where it has its own dedicated breaker. They allegedly plan to roll out some sort of software update that will allow them to communicate with each other (basically creating a "virtual" daisy chain via software) and load share whatever amount that that sub panel is capable of supplying (among other possibilities) without exceeding the maximum rate. But, as of now, this isn't the case. I'm just trying to keep the conversation as topical as possible as to not further confused the lad who is unsure of some of the less technical aspects of his new purchase.

I'm just trying to keep the conversation as topical as possible as to not further confused the lad who is unsure of some of the less technical aspects of his new purchase.
Right, I understand keeping it very basic and non-confusing. And to that end, you said they can load share, and I'm pointing out that right now, they can't. So if that was an important feature someone needs, I didn't want them getting Gen3s and then being surprised to find it doesn't do what they want. Tesla isn't known for being very timely with a lot of their promises, so that could be a year or more.

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush
Right, I understand keeping it very basic and non-confusing. And to that end, you said they can load share, and I'm pointing out that right now, they can't. So if that was an important feature someone needs, I didn't want them getting Gen3s and then being surprised to find it doesn't do what they want. Tesla isn't known for being very timely with a lot of their promises, so that could be a year or more.
Fair point.

Optimists can point to the recent Tesla announcement of intent to allow billing as a reason to think the functionality will be coming sooner rather than later since these two functions are intertwined.