Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We received 2 key fobs last week but they said they didn't have anymore keychains for them and would be sending them to us after delivery. I knew this would be a problem. Sure enough...we lost one of the key fobs somewhere after opening the doors at the mall last night. I like to have two here and was wondering if I need to make an appoint to get another one, or can I order one online?

Yes, from what I've read, they need your existing FOB and MS, so both of them and the new FOB they will provide can be reprogrammed to effectively lock out the old one just-in-case someone tries some unscrupulous thing. IIRC, someone here on TMC recently reported the cost for a new FOB has gone down (amazing, huh?) to something like $150. Call your SvC tomorrow when they open and they'll get you going. Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SharonB
Yes, from what I've read, they need your existing FOB and MS, so both of them and the new FOB they will provide can be reprogrammed to effectively lock out the old one just-in-case someone tries some unscrupulous thing. IIRC, someone here on TMC recently reported the cost for a new FOB has gone down (amazing, huh?) to something like $150. Call your SvC tomorrow when they open and they'll get you going. Good luck.
I see this is an older thread, but still a good one. agree, except to add that if you don't have one of the fobs for the service center to use, then a new one can still be programmed, but it is going to take longer and you will likely pay a bigger labor charge. Often with a fob for comparison, the labor charge can be waived and that cost is sometimes as much as $75.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom