TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lost Key Fob

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by SharonB, Sep 25, 2016.

1. SharonB

SharonB Member

We received 2 key fobs last week but they said they didn't have anymore keychains for them and would be sending them to us after delivery. I knew this would be a problem. Sure enough...we lost one of the key fobs somewhere after opening the doors at the mall last night. I like to have two here and was wondering if I need to make an appoint to get another one, or can I order one online?

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I think Tesla has to program them for your car, so it will require a service center visit. I don't know if that is something that can be handled on a drive-up basis or if you need an appointment.

• Helpful x 1
  3. BertL

BertL Active Member

#3 BertL, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Yes, from what I've read, they need your existing FOB and MS, so both of them and the new FOB they will provide can be reprogrammed to effectively lock out the old one just-in-case someone tries some unscrupulous thing. IIRC, someone here on TMC recently reported the cost for a new FOB has gone down (amazing, huh?) to something like $150. Call your SvC tomorrow when they open and they'll get you going. Good luck.

• Helpful x 1