Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost LTE connection, but MCU reboot uses a lot of energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hooked up car to supercharger, walked away and couldn't seem to connect to car via app. So walked all the way back and saw that LTE was down. Estimated how much supercharger took to charge and came back around that time. Drove off and still no LTE connection even after 5 miles away. Rebooted MCU at a stop, and LTE connection reestablished soon after the reboot. Noticed that big boost when MCU was rebooting.

View media item 119080

• Informative
Reactions: preilly44
Hooked up car to supercharger, walked away and couldn't seem to connect to car via app. So walked all the way back and saw that LTE was down. Estimated how much supercharger took to charge and came back around that time. Drove off and still no LTE connection even after 5 miles away. Rebooted MCU at a stop, and LTE connection reestablished soon after the reboot. Noticed that big boost when MCU was rebooting.

View media item 119080

It is not the MCU reboot that caused the spike, it's the car not moving while the heat (I presume) was on. The car shows consumption per mile, not absolute consumption. When the car is stopped, the consumption per mile is infinite by definition.

It is not the MCU reboot that caused the spike, it's the car not moving while the heat (I presume) was on. The car shows consumption per mile, not absolute consumption. When the car is stopped, the consumption per mile is infinite by definition.

Good point. This was in the afternoon, so AC might have been on during the drive and before this 5 minute interval, but definitely not heat. After that green regen blip was when I got off the freeway onto surface streets. So that 5 minute interval is composed of city driving with traffic lights. I understand your argument, but the MCU reboot is the only novel consumer of electricity during this time.