Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost my entire front plate and assembly in the storm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
Holee molee you’re not gonna believe this but I lost my whole front license plate assembly in the storm yesterday! Tesla trial by fire (or snow in this case) 😂 Had to get a whole new license and pay for it. Oh well, first world problems. Better than getting nailed for not having a front plate.

How did I figure this out, you might ask? Well, I had to bring my car in to the service shop for the allying creak in the front seat. they ended up replacing the seat rails and lower frame. When the car was "docked" after the work, I asked where my front plate went - not a clue. it wasn't there to begin with. I then surmised that it muster fallen off while driving through the deep snow and trenches, yesterday. $59 later for a whole new set of GV plates (now I gotta remember this new plate), and the good people at the Railside location, I am back to being a "fully operational (and legal), Deathstar. The frame is only held by 2-sided 3M tape - odd.

Was that the standard plate holder? I was thinking about whether to purchase one of those after market things that bolt on to the front when I get my Y. But $200 for a license plate holder seems ridiculous, on top of all the other little accessories that is.

Was that the standard plate holder? I was thinking about whether to purchase one of those after market things that bolt on to the front when I get my Y. But $200 for a license plate holder seems ridiculous, on top of all the other little accessories that is.
Yup. It was the one which came with the car. I've seen some which use the tow-bolt aperture in the from bumper, driver side. Was debating but, meh - pass (for now).

Uh...... just saw this, and while it's in the US, it might be something to keep an eye out for

Thanks Tony. I can say without hesitation that it was on when I drove my partner to our daughter's place in the afternoon of the storm. It must've come off with all the high snow. It is parked in our building's underground garage with surveillance so I think this was just "one of those things"....

Holee molee you’re not gonna believe this but I lost my whole front license plate assembly in the storm yesterday! Tesla trial by fire (or snow in this case) 😂 Had to get a whole new license and pay for it. Oh well, first world problems. Better than getting nailed for not having a front plate.

How did I figure this out, you might ask? Well, I had to bring my car in to the service shop for the allying creak in the front seat. they ended up replacing the seat rails and lower frame. When the car was "docked" after the work, I asked where my front plate went - not a clue. it wasn't there to begin with. I then surmised that it muster fallen off while driving through the deep snow and trenches, yesterday. $59 later for a whole new set of GV plates (now I gotta remember this new plate), and the good people at the Railside location, I am back to being a "fully operational (and legal), Deathstar. The frame is only held by 2-sided 3M tape - odd.
I lost mine too when we drove through a windrow the plow left on the road. It was already loose - on the "to-do" list to get it replaced before the storm but it fell off early. We noticed it when we were about half an hour away from the place where we suspected we lost it, so by then it had been pushed off by the next plow.

Fortunately we were able to recover the plate - digging through snow banks was preferable to waiting at Service Ontario - and get a new holder. They gave me a bit of a hard time at the SC giving me the "we replaced it this time" because the plate was a little bent, but it had been pushed by a snow plow and was already half off before this event anyways.

Reactions: Soul Surfer