TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lost my first mile

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by sorka, Aug 16, 2015.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Guess it had to happen eventually. 9000 miles on P85D. 80% charge now says 202 (vt reports 202.2). It was a fraction over 203 before. Could be calibration, but I did that once completely right before going to Washington a few weeks ago (1600 mile round trip). Also only pull 409 KW now at WOT throttle on 90% vs 414 KW. So internal resistance is likely up just a tiny bit which will result in a slightly larger voltage drop at maximum current.

2. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

I don't think you can make any assumptions about a one mile drop, especially with all the software updates. My 80% has dropped from about 210 to 208 in nearly 2 years. My 100% from 265-270 to 257 but interestingly. when I now charge to 100% it now takes nearly 5 miles of driving before the battery will register a drop of one mile.

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

Good point, this is the first time I looked at the rated miles since the last update at 80%

4. A.G.

A.G. Member

If there is anything Kman's videos showed us it is that the number does not tell you much about the battery health. His number has actually increased and gone all over the place. Wouldn't read into this much IMO

5. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

It also re-calculates when you do a 100% charge.

6. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

IIRC, folks have said in other threads that resistance build up in the pack due to degradation is so negligible that it does not impact performance numbers. I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if peak power continually declined with vehicle age to any measurable degree.

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

I don't think a 5 KW reduction will result in any meaningful performance reduction. That reduction could also be due to software but I can't imagine why they'd do that. I suppose it could also be a change in the way they report that number.

8. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

For sure 5 kW is no big deal, but if it scaled linearly with degradation you could be down 10-15% by 100,000 miles. That would be a big deal and is kind of why I doubt the performance argument.

9. deonb

deonb Active Member

Ditto. 5.5 miles for me to be exact. What is that??

10. rns-e

rns-e Member

I could imagine that Tesla reduced battery output - they have issued a 8 year guarantee on the battery and they may have seen issues in the data and reached the conclusion that they need to reduce the battery output in order to make sure the batteries (or specific parts of) can last 8 years. Enter - Ludicrous mode (Fuse) ...

11. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

This is just noise. On 80% charge, mine goes up and down between 198 and 202 daily. In any case, if you only lost 1 mile with nearly 10K miles I'd saying you're doing well!

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad. I've lost 48 miles in about 2.5 years of use.

13. yoyo

yoyo Member

wait, mine has been 201 in range mode for quite a while (or it has always been that way), 198 in non-range mode. only drove 7k miles.
    what did I miss...?

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

What size battery do you have / what model car? (You can see in my signature below that I have a non-Performance 85 kWh.)

15. sorka

sorka Active Member

I just thought it was interesting because for the first 9K miles, 80% always == 203 and never varied.

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

In a 40, 60, 70 or 85 kWh car? It matters.

17. sorka

sorka Active Member

Are you asking? It's in the first post.

18. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Right. P85D. It's probably helpful to indicate that each time. There are a number of threads on this topic, and they soon get full of people quoting their numbers without reference to which car. In another thread, I wasn't feeling so bad about my 217 miles @ 90% when another person was quoting similar numbers. After a bit of an exchange, it turns out the other guy was talking about a 70D !