Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost my oem wheel lock key...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wheel locks are more trouble than they are worth. I'd suggest just getting rid of them. They are easily defeatable in about 15 seconds by any competent wheel thief. And the biggest problem is exactly this -- what if you lost your key on the side of the road with a flat (assuming you had a spare to change, but that's a different story). Wheel locks basically keep honest people honest and don't really offer protection against anyone who really wants your wheels. Any competent wheel/tire shop can remove them for you.

Take a 16-point socket that's SLIGHTLY smaller than the diameter of the wheel lock
Hammer it on (not too hard)
Take a breaker bar, and remove the wheel lock

Hank is right, it takes about 15 seconds. I've done it when I stripped my key.

Even those new fancy spinner wheel locks can be removed fairly quickly.

There is one company that claims they make wheel locks that you can't take off. But they're like $400 for a set and they insure your wheels, and there's 2 keys for them. One is used to install them and mailed back to the manufacturer. The other is sealed, once the seal is broken, your warranty on your wheels is voided.

Reactions: No ICE
There is one company that claims they make wheel locks that you can't take off. But they're like $400 for a set and they insure your wheels, and there's 2 keys for them. One is used to install them and mailed back to the manufacturer. The other is sealed, once the seal is broken, your warranty on your wheels is voided.

What happens if you have to change a flat tire?

What happens if you have to change a flat tire?
You break it open, use it, mail it back to them, they send you a sealed one. But if someone happens to steal your tire while the key is in the mail, I assume that's not covered by their warranty.

I don't remember the name of the company, someone on TMC posted it in one of the wheel lock threads when I claimed ALL wheel locks can be removed. I stood corrected, all wheel locks under $100 can be removed :p.

From the video it looks too easy. A Tesla torqued wheel nut would need a longer breaker bar and some serious grunt to release it. The trick of hammering on a socket really only works when the wheel nut has a chrome cap and rust beneath the cap has swollen the nut so that the original socket size won't fit. When using this approach you need air tool sockets that won't split. This will make sense when you work on old cars and where a torch (heat wrench) won't help.

That said, you can easily purchase specialty sockets that have a left hand thread that is also tapered like a pipe thread. Once this socket bites into the wheel nut the grip increases with torque provided. These come in a set of various sizes to cover security nuts from various manufacturers. When you can buy these removal sockets so easily the idea of locking wheel nuts for security is futile.

I will have to admit that our old BMW came with a splined security bolt and it may be of tougher material than the reverse thread cutting socket. I never tried it and instead I purchased a couple of extra BMW security sockets for use in my shop. The original that came with the car stays in the car.

I don't remember the name of the company, someone on TMC posted it in one of the wheel lock threads when I claimed ALL wheel locks can be removed. I stood corrected, all wheel locks under $100 can be removed :p.

Rimlox. :D Check out the videos of tire shops failing miserably to remove these.

For a lot less, you can get wheel locks with a lot more security than the typical ubiquitous McGard locks. The Gorilla X2 wheel locks are immune to the hammer-a-socket trick due to their free-spinning top half.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
There is another trick for spinner type security lug nuts. It involves freon and an air hammer drill

If someone wants your stuff it's gone in the hands of the pros. If they really want it they just flatbed the whole car to the strip down facility.

These type of security devices are for amateurs. I wouldnt waste my monies or the additional unbalanced weigh on the wheel. It really gives the user a false sense of security.

Reactions: Max*
There is another trick for spinner type security lug nuts. It involves freon and an air hammer drill

If someone wants your stuff it's gone in the hands of the pros. If they really want it they just flatbed the whole car to the strip down facility.

These type of security devices are for amateurs. I wouldnt waste my monies or the additional unbalanced weigh on the wheel. It really gives the user a false sense of security.

Yes, if someone really wants the wheels, they can get them. Even Rimlox can't help you if they steal the car.

But I look at it as deterrence vs. cost. A set of the Gorilla X2s is $21. Even if that ever only prevents a teenager from playing a prank, then it's totally worth it when you're protecting $2000+ worth of wheels and tires. You're talking a 1% price premium for a 90%+ deterrence/prevention rate. That's a bargain to me.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I remember when mag rims were very rare so locking them was required but with mag rims on every car the lock is just a nuisance during maintenance, in my experience. I think that thieves are attracted to shiny things until these shiny things become common.

Teens playing a prank is a higher risk with a wheel nut that they cannot remove as the other nuts will be loose or gone and a few miles down the road you will have an even bigger problem. Better to park in a secure area and not leave valuables on the back seat.

Misplacing the key to unlock a wheel nut is just one more absent minded problem that I see too often.

My thoughts for your consideration.

Wheel locks are more trouble than they are worth. I'd suggest just getting rid of them. They are easily defeatable in about 15 seconds by any competent wheel thief. And the biggest problem is exactly this -- what if you lost your key on the side of the road with a flat (assuming you had a spare to change, but that's a different story). Wheel locks basically keep honest people honest and don't really offer protection against anyone who really wants your wheels. Any competent wheel/tire shop can remove them for you.

I had a buddy who had his rims stolen at a Los Angeles hospital parking lot...but they did break his window to obtain the key from the glovebox.

I am sure the OP can drive to the shady area of town and have it taken care of for a few bucks