Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost my UK content on LTE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I posted in another historic thread but would like this to get some attention if possible. I’m at odds with Tesla SC and would benefit with some information/ help to back up my case.

I collected my car on 4/12 and on 14/1 I had my connectivity board replaced to fix app waking car issues. Only recently whilst sitting at a public charger I tried to access BBC IPlayer and YouTube. I was both surprised and disappointed to find that my browser and the bbc iPlayer wouldn’t allow me to play any UK content. YouTube was also for the first time playing NL local ads.

I tried to raise a Service appointment and here are the responses I received. This USED to be the case prior to December 2021 but it was fixed wasn’t it? Does anyone have any further info on it as the SC are refusing to deal with the issue.

1) Thank you for contacting Tesla.

Regarding the vehicle IP address showing as in the Netherlands, this is to be expected due to the SIM provider that we use and when use 4G/LTE. This will change to a UK IP address when you use a Wi-Fi connection or a hotspot and you will be able to see UK content.

As no appointment is necessary, we will look to remove the appointment from the diary although please feel free to re-schedule if you have any further issues in the future.

2)
You will only be able to see UK content if the vehicle is connected to a Wi-Fi source or hot spotting from your phone.

Thank you,
Tesla Service

Whilst waiting for my collection date I read several threads on this issue but can’t locate them and I believe that this issue was resolved centrally by Tesla.

Am I wrong?

is there anything official from Tesla regarding IP address range and geolocation?

It was NL based previously, and changed last year some time to the UK. But did that just happen, or was there an official twitter/blog/other post by Tesla about it?

If not, you may not get anywhere with the service centre as if there is no spec, it can't be said to be missing that spec. Frustrating, but quite common with Tesla unfortunately

Thanks. This is a pain, sure it’s not life changing but come on, I had uk connectivity now I don’t. Tesla refuse to acknowledge that there’s an issue and that all of you who have uk connectivity, actually don’t. Grrs.

Wonder if I can run a poll asking for numbers of who has uk content on LTE and who doesn’t to make my case to Tesla. Would it even make a difference? :-/

Last edited:
Just tried it. In my March 2020 LR my ISP is KPN.BV and iPlayer works fine and YouTube plays with U.K. content
Last July the sim was I believe another Dutch ISP and iPlayer wouldn’t work and YouTube had Dutch content.
Mine did change in December as reported.
I’m on 2021.44.30.11, so up to now, software updates haven’t affected the sim

I wonder if this is the first time someone has noticed this after a board change in the car.

I doubt the boards have a UK specific part number?

So it must be a configuration issue. Maybe we all got migrated, they know at the factory what to set, but they didn't think about the process for a board change.

Given Tesla Owners UK did all the talking with Tesla, might be worth contacting them (Twitter or website maybe) to see if they can nudge whoever it was they spoke to.

Reactions: init6
I wonder if this is the first time someone has noticed this after a board change in the car.

I doubt the boards have a UK specific part number?

So it must be a configuration issue. Maybe we all got migrated, they know at the factory what to set, but they didn't think about the process for a board change.

Given Tesla Owners UK did all the talking with Tesla, might be worth contacting them (Twitter or website maybe) to see if they can nudge whoever it was they spoke to.
Yes, good shout, I think that I will go to Tesla owners UK. Thanks.

Talking to some chaps on Tesla owners. Could be the sim number of the new sim on the connectivity board is out with the number range KPN opened up when they migrated the uk base to allow us all to see uk content.

Looks like I need to find a way for kpn to migrate my new sim number like they did the rest.

I have the thread (am I allowed to post it?)

The only other thing that springs to mind is to get to your local SC and wait for a fellow owner to show up (pretty sure it wouldn't take long) ask if they have UK sim and then get someone to come out and look at the 2 cars and still tell you with a straight face yours is "normal"

Silly this is bugging me. I really don’t like things not working as they should. Before they swapped the connectivity board out I could watch iPlayer and there were no Dutch adverts on YouTube.

I’m left a bit in no man’s land. KPN who run the network probably won’t talk to me directly as (Although I do pay the monthly subscription) I have no direct contract with them) nor do I know my “telephone number” to quote to them.

Looks like kpn moved a large range of Sim ID’s to look like they are uk based whereas my new sim/ or my new connectivity board fell out with this range.

Sounds like there’s a step required in the board swap out process and that’s to contact KPN and get them to migrate new numbers to whatever it is that allows them to appear as if in the UK.

First step is to try and get Tesla to acknowledge that M3’s in the UK can view iPlayer content on LTE.

Silly this is bugging me. I really don’t like things not working as they should. Before they swapped the connectivity board out I could watch iPlayer and there were no Dutch adverts on YouTube.

I’m left a bit in no man’s land. KPN who run the network probably won’t talk to me directly as (Although I do pay the monthly subscription) I have no direct contract with them) nor do I know my “telephone number” to quote to them.

Looks like kpn moved a large range of Sim ID’s to look like they are uk based whereas my new sim/ or my new connectivity board fell out with this range.

Sounds like there’s a step required in the board swap out process and that’s to contact KPN and get them to migrate new numbers to whatever it is that allows them to appear as if in the UK.

First step is to try and get Tesla to acknowledge that M3’s in the UK can view iPlayer content on LTE.

I woudln’t go with iplayer - perhaps use netflix becuase you aren’t getting the content you’re paying for with your subscription.

Sc contacted me today to say they were investigating and asked that I provide two pics confirming NL location.

Will update in due course.

Attachments

• E9649F27-9C52-48D1-A59B-9AF3A978C568.jpeg
    E9649F27-9C52-48D1-A59B-9AF3A978C568.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 202
  • D015A834-0D98-4255-A742-9EA5E7C36CCD.jpeg
    D015A834-0D98-4255-A742-9EA5E7C36CCD.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 106
By Jove I think it’s fixed. Popped out at lunchtime and whilst off Wi-Fi checked again. So I’m currently waiting on Tesla confirming the case is closed. I suspect KPN have done some rumpty tumpty on their keyboard and the new sim is now recognised as a uk based sim.

Hopefully in the future Tesla will update their work instructions to include this step as part of any connectivity board change.

Attachments

• 20068387-CC05-442C-B47A-448A65FF383C.jpeg
    20068387-CC05-442C-B47A-448A65FF383C.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 105
  • E0926740-F9D3-4040-8A32-BC7F5548136A.jpeg
    E0926740-F9D3-4040-8A32-BC7F5548136A.jpeg
    434.3 KB · Views: 101
  • B5CA5533-1D4A-4CBE-AE18-060643243D75.jpeg
    B5CA5533-1D4A-4CBE-AE18-060643243D75.jpeg
    433.2 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: Mrklaw
Yup, this affects Tune-In too and it's been around since at least the summer when I got my MCU2 upgraded and had to buy the OTA DAB radio because you can't get any of the Magic Radio/Kiss network as they are all geo locked... I've done lots of badgering but no joy fixing it.

Is this why Big Bang Theory is on my Netflix at home but not the Netflix on the same account in the car?

By Jove I think it’s fixed. Popped out at lunchtime and whilst off Wi-Fi checked again. So I’m currently waiting on Tesla confirming the case is closed. I suspect KPN have done some rumpty tumpty on their keyboard and the new sim is now recognised as a uk based sim.

Hopefully in the future Tesla will update their work instructions to include this step as part of any connectivity board change.
I hope you get a chance to point out that the Service Centre operatives were misinformed, resulting in them advising you incorrectly, and that they may need an update in their training regarding this issue.