Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost NOA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twice now my 20 M3 LR has lost the ability to navigate on autopilot. I’m currently on 2020.44.15.

All the FSD options are set correctly, NOA shows as enabled. But when I chose a destination, there is no button to turn it on and I am limited to standard autopilot.

The first time it happened was a few weeks ago after I had it in to replace a shattered windshield. Cameras were recalibrated, system rebooted, but NOA was gone.

It came back after I did a power shutdown. The service center checked the GPS sensor for good measure, and everything seemed fine.

Then out of the blue it happened again. Worked one day, next time I took it out of the garage there was no NOA.

Checked all settings, rebooted, powered down. Nada-zilch!

I’ll make another service appointment, but I’m wondering if anyone else has seen something similar or has a suggestion. I tried searching the forum but didn’t find a match.

FWIW, why not try a complete power-off reboot (again), wipe the cameras, and check all the settings. I've had it lose settings after an update. Everything looks OK, but it's only after turning the driving/AP/NOA related options off and back on that it normalizes. It's like it didn't correctly re-read all the settings. Worth a try, it doesn't take that long :) There's also a map update that wants a WiFi connection as it's a lot of data, so make sure it has a good WiFi connection when you park it.

BTW, I looked over dashcam footage recorded while I was wiping the cameras. It's amazing how much clearer all the camera views became. I keep a plush microfiber cloth in the door pocket and try to remember to start the day with a walk-around, look at the tires, and wipe the windshield camera area, the pillar cameras, the side repeaters and the back camera. Not scrubbing hard into the lens. Also brush off the radar area and the little round IR sensors if they're dusty/dirty. Yeah, I know, Teslas can drive half blind, but hey, if I can see such a difference on the video, it's not just a silly ritual.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Watts_Up and rotus8
To answer your questions, features are a mixed bag. Stoplights and speed limits are still recognized, but changing lanes on signal doesn’t work.

The cameras and the car are clean, and I did a recalibration. After both the system reboot and the power shutoff I disabled and enabled all the FSD settings. No bueno.

I have a wonky WiFi signal in the garage, even with a range extender. I’ve noticed that when it loses the signal, I often need to reboot to connect even after the signal is restored.

I’m stumped, but I’m going to try another round and take a drive to check again while I’m waiting for a service appointment.

if anyone has long shot theories, educated guesses or wild experiments to suggest, I’m all ears!

Last edited:
I too have lost NoA. I have a 2019 Model 3 SR+ w/ FSD. I downloaded this version (2020.44.25) and no more single line on the screen. I haven't had a chance for it to actually try to take an off ramp just yet though. Really it seems like just the single AP line is gone. The box is check in the settings but the option to use it or not when navigating is gone.

The car changed lanes just fine (I initiated the lane change) and traffic-aware cruise control worked just fine today as well.

It does not seem to because of two lane highway or anything. I was on a major highway here in Vegas this morning (215 and I-15) but I had to take control because sometimes it's just tooooooo slow to make a move with traffic here.

I did a reboot because lane markings were not showing after the install and that's when I noticed the absence of NoA. I might try another reboot or a power down but meh, I usually have to take over for on/off-ramps anyways so NoA isn't much help right now. I did have a phantom break today which was as lovely as ever. I'm really hoping to get into the wider FSD Beta in the coming weeks!

WFT? Is this like time/version travel? gradually going backwards to 2018?
Give us street NOA, or at least put some effort again into Freeway NOA!

I'd PAY to have it working like when it was working great, say 4 months ago!
(Well, a modest sum anyway, at this point I've given Tesla a lot)

Weirdness continues.

Woke up yesterday and found the option for NOA had returned to the nav screen when I entered a destination. Took a drive and it seemed to be working fine on the Interstate. Then a few hundred yards from the exit I got a notification something like “NOA is no longer available, function may return on next drive”. I hadn’t touched anything, it was a sunny day on a straight multi-lane highway in a metro area with clear markings. There was no obvious reason for it to raise a surrender flag.

I arrived, put it in park and plugged in my return address. Lo and behold, the NOA option was back!

Last night update 2020.44.25 installed. Today all is well, but that fact that NOA seems to come and go almost at random doesn’t inspire me with a lot of confidence!

I'm seeing something else weird with these releases recently. I have Sentry set to NOT be on at home. But each tine I go out to the car there are between 50-100 events. I double checked and confirmed Sentry on, but home and favorites are excluded; yet I still get dozens of events (with nothing flanged in the videos). This last time it didn't see see the drive so I had to unplug and replug. Definitely some stuff going on.