Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost Power Brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally pulled my pump, scraped off all the black silicone, and opened it up. About a teaspoon of water came out. I dried and cleaned the board. It had no visible damage that I could see. In fact, it looked great. I reassembled and did a quick test and it's working. What would you guys recommend I seal it with? I have some fish tank silicone.

Do you think I should leave the silicone off the bottom? What about adding a weep hole (done while the board is removed ;-)

While I had my soldering iron out I heated up a piece of copper and pushed it through the casing. Would definitely cover the board with conformal coating. i temporary soldered a new IC chip on and it worked to my surprise, I looked at what may work in a pinch, I suppose clear nail varnish at a pinch. The casing I have just roughed up and used silicone, if I had time I would have looked for marine silicone as everyone else has used.

New - MES DEA 70/6 E 2 Vacuum Pump | eBay

here it where I got one .it was new and under half price then tesla inc shipping

So for those of us further afield beware, they charge an additional $75 Canadian to deliver and the duty cost an additional $75 Canadian. Making it far less of a bargain. No fault of the seller but $150 to have a pump delivered would have made me not bother. Live and learn. Bargins rarely ever work out

• Informative
Reactions: drewski and tvuolo
Soooooo the new pump

45567E82-CC54-46DF-9F2C-40C579EB0BCF.jpeg

Im based in the UK and have had a couple of enquiries about the MED DEA vacuum pumps. I do have stock of new Units. So if anyone really needs one I can supply, I have also obtained some spare poppet valves (pump doesnt turn off) and these a
20200418_152629.jpg
re not difficult to replace

Reactions: Tex EV
Their email is [email protected]. I've been in correspondence with Jeremy. Pricing is very reasonable compared to what Tesla wants for the same part with their logo slapped on it. Just bought a couple for myself as I had another one take in water and short out.
If you want me to resolder the IC chip let me know, I have a few left over

Reactions: Tex EV and eHorses
If you have the other problem of faulty poppet valves, (it wont turn off as it cant hold vacuum) I do have spare original valves. This is how to fit them (bit simple and on the single chanber version)

Attachments

• mes valves.pdf
    545.3 KB · Views: 64
On the valve failure front. I have been talking to the part manufactures, and they have suggested that the problem may be a slight sharp edge on the hole through which the small valves are located. On the first photo, the central hole in each set of 5 is where the vales are pulled through, The central one goes in from this side. Simply pulled through, it stretches as it is pulled and narrows to pass through. On this one the head has fallen off. You can just see the one in the other port. The second photo shows the valve with a broken stem.

cylinder head.jpg

open 2.jpg

Reactions: Tex EV
I finally found some time to install one of my new pumps from @EV Support UK. Top picture shows the new pump on the left vs (broken) OEM on the right. Slight differences in the design, but the new pump performs at least as well as OEM! Sounds and feels just the same. Highly recommend picking one up just to have if/when the original pump fails. The Tesla pump was over $700 when I last inquired. New ones from EV Support UK were <$200 each.

IMG_7107.jpeg

IMG_7246.jpeg