Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost range? Poll

Do you have any battery degradation evident at 80 or 90% charge?

• None

Votes: 27 23.1%
  • 1-3 miles

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • 3-5 miles

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • 5-7 miles

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • 7-10 miles

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • 10-15 miles

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • 15+

Votes: 30 25.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have you lost range on your model 3? Recently I noticed I was a 5-7 miles off of the equivalent full charge. Up until very recently, I had the ideal numbers for my LR dual motor 248 miles @ 80% and 279 @ 90%.

Now I’m about 243-244 miles @ 80%. I know battery degradation is normal but wondering how it compares. I have a little over 10,000miles on the odometer

My 3 is exactly a year old and has only 9600 miles. I've rarely charged it to 100% but when I did today, I was somewhat shocked to see an anemic 297 miles at full charge. Whatever happened to the increased range of 325 miles that was supposed to happen with the recent software update? I've always taken good care of the battery pack, so either Tesla tweaked their software again or the battery is somehow rapidly degrading, or both.

Previously, the only other time I charged to 100% was early this year (before the software update) and got about 307 miles. As things stand now, my current range of 297 is well below the previous 307 and almost 9% (28 miles) below Tesla's "advertised" or theoretical range of 325.

Does anyone know if Tesla has updated their software to dial back the battery capacity? I have not heard a lot of "outcry" so I wonder whether this issue only affects a certain production group of batteries. If Tesla is indeed dialing back the capacity and not tell us, that's a rotten thing to do.

I'm knocking on wood. My LR AWD battery appears to be still improving after 11 months and 12,800 miles. No apparent degradation at all. VIN 113xxx, delivered 9/30/18. My charging pattern & history is approximately as follows:

Level 1 - 50% 120V NEMA 5-20 at about 6-7 mph. I typically charge to 70%-80% daily unless I know I will need more
Level 2 - 25% 240V NEMA 14-30 & 6-20 240V 16-24 amps. Some HPWC and J1772 L2 charging at 208V and 240V, 32 to 48 amps
Supercharger - 25%, only on road trips, typically charge to 80% to 95%, has been charged to 100% maybe 8-10 times lifetime total.

The lowest SOC this battery has ever experienced is about 10%-11%, and that has only happened twice. Both times it was immediately L2 recharged to 80% at about a 6KW rate. It has been discharged to 20% to 25% SOC perhaps 20-25 times and always quickly recharged. It spends most of its life between 60% and 80%. Always kept the firmware updated, is now at 24.4.

It lives in a garage and is always connected to a 120V L5-20. I must be doing something right. I hope you all can view the Stats graphic, this is the first time I've tried to post an image.

Attachments

• Battery Health.pdf
    95 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
My AWD which is about 1 yr old with 3500 miles on it shows only 300 miles with a full charge. Tesla told me this is the car mis-estimating things due to my driving and charging habits. They want me to run it down to 15% and charge up to 85% for the next 6 weeks. The last time I tried that, nothing happened, but I only did it for 2 weeks. If this doesn’t fix things, I’m going to ask for a CAC reset.

Reactions: Trevlan006 and axar
M3MR+, March 2019 build, April delivery. 6600 miles, avg wh/mi is 240 lifetime.

Since July 4th, at 5k miles, I started losing range of about 1 mile every other day for two weeks. Finally levelled off at 234 miles at 100%soc.

Yesterday, Sept 3rd, at 6.6k miles, total range dropped to 209 miles.

Funny thing is, I have been more mindful if driving habits lately. I have averaged 227 wh/mile over the past five charge cycles prior to this drop.

I calculate that as 31 miles lost, total 13% degredation in 6600 miles and under 5 months,

Keep hearing Tesla won't do anything until it reaches 30% degradation. Is this true?

• Informative
Reactions: jrcase
I asked about this the last time I went to the service center (saw a similar 10 mi drop going to 100% during a road trip) and was told by the SC that the computer estimates range based on your driving habits. So if you drive more aggressively, then it will reduce the range it says you have at the time of charging. Taking the battery down to 10% and then going back up is supposed to "reset" the process but YMMV. I'm skeptical but also this seems like something Tesla would do even though it is highly prone to misinterpretation.

I asked about this the last time I went to the service center (saw a similar 10 mi drop going to 100% during a road trip) and was told by the SC that the computer estimates range based on your driving habits. So if you drive more aggressively, then it will reduce the range it says you have at the time of charging. Taking the battery down to 10% and then going back up is supposed to "reset" the process but YMMV. I'm skeptical but also this seems like something Tesla would do even though it is highly prone to misinterpretation.

This seems to be the party line, but there is no evidence it is actually true. It can be relatively easily disproven (assuming the trip meter reads consistently) by calculating your Wh used per rated mile (not miles traveled). Anyone can do it, though I warn you if you have seen loss of rated miles on your vehicle, performing said experiment could result in sadness.

Reactions: jroydog
In addition to the charging loss, for every mile I drive, I consume 1.5 to 1.8 miles of juice. It's not a factor of going up hill, down hill, lead footing it, or using the AC. I leave my home in the AM about 5 (no traffic), when I get to the freeway, which is 2 miles away, from a full (reduced) charge, I will have consumed 3 to 3.5 miles worth of juice. This is just since they uploaded 28.3.

I checked for the first time a few days ago, and its showing 6 miles down at 90% with ~1500 miles on it. I assume that's incorrect, since it would be absurdly high if that trend maintains.

Averaged over the day, including the hot parking lot losses, I use around 2.0 - 2.2 mi of rated range per mile traveled. But my efficiency when driving tends to be remarkably close to rated.

Monday I was going to
M3MR+, March 2019 build, April delivery. 6600 miles, avg wh/mi is 240 lifetime.

Since July 4th, at 5k miles, I started losing range of about 1 mile every other day for two weeks. Finally levelled off at 234 miles at 100%soc.

Yesterday, Sept 3rd, at 6.6k miles, total range dropped to 209 miles.

Funny thing is, I have been more mindful if driving habits lately. I have averaged 227 wh/mile over the past five charge cycles prior to this drop.

I calculate that as 31 miles lost, total 13% degredation in 6600 miles and under 5 months,

Keep hearing Tesla won't do anything until it reaches 30% degradation. Is this true?
Monday I was going to leave town due to the hurricane And once I was done super charging I noticed my And once I was done super charging I noticed my battery showed 210 miles when my range is 240 . . I called them today and they said they had a problem that they are working on to fix

Attachments

• 3D4F2D22-2CA1-4952-AC47-04211FF0ACD7.jpeg
    3D4F2D22-2CA1-4952-AC47-04211FF0ACD7.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 147
Monday I was going to

Monday I was going to leave town due to the hurricane And once I was done super charging I noticed my And once I was done super charging I noticed my battery showed 210 miles when my range is 240 . . I called them today and they said they had a problem that they are working on to fix

Working to fix your car or Dorian :D... seriously, my SR+ 240 at 90% only loses 1 mile (215). Prior to 28.3 I was getting 216 at 90 and 240 at 100%.

have you lost range on your model 3? Recently I noticed I was a 5-7 miles off of the equivalent full charge. Up until very recently, I had the ideal numbers for my LR dual motor 248 miles @ 80% and 279 @ 90%.

Now I’m about 243-244 miles @ 80%. I know battery degradation is normal but wondering how it compares. I have a little over 10,000miles on the odometer
I have over 18,000 miles almost 1 year dual motor. It goes up and down I don't understand WTH is going on.
80soc.PNG

battery.PNG

I ran it to 100% last weekend and got 296. 3 months ago I got 304.

Followup! I noticed my Software screen now lists my baby as a Standard, not a SR+. I don't have access to fog Lights or Emersive Sound. Also feels like im in Chill mode.

So it looks like I was downgraded without any notification, and at the least opportune time due to hurricane evacuation.

2018 Dec MR here with 8500km on ODO. Got it in March 2019. My range loss is getting worse and worst. Range only goes down over time and never goes up. Now 100% estimate is around 400km. About 5.8% loss. After the recently software update 2019.28.3.1, the Wh/km usage is also getting higher. Considering the milder temperature right now in September, I don't understand how could the wh/km usage went up. I was constantly getting under 140Wh/km easily in July and Aug. Now is getting 200-160.

Considering the milder temperature right now in September, I don't understand how could the wh/km usage went up. I was constantly getting under 140Wh/km easily in July and Aug. Now is getting 200-160.

Regarding milder temperature ... the battery is actually more efficient when it’s a bit warmer. I noticed a decrease in Wh/km as spring turned to summer, so now as summer turns to fall the opposite should be expected. I’m not talking about HVAC use here either. No HVAC mild spring temp was worse than warmer summer even with A/C usage. 140 to 150 without heat I could see easily. 160 maybe with some mild heat usage or defogging of windows. 200 is extreme though.