Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost Supercharging on car bought from 3rd party dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a 2014 Tesla Model S P85+ with all the bells and whistles for X amount with the promise of free supercharging. However, pay per use was displayed. I called and they said “the car made it back to them somehow so we removed supercharging from the vehicle” got money out of the dealership for false advertising but buyers beware!

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I just bought a 2014 Tesla Model S P85+ with all the bells and whistles for X amount with the promise of free supercharging. However, pay per use was displayed. I called and they said “the car made it back to them somehow so we removed supercharging from the vehicle” got money out of the dealership for false advertising but buyers beware!
What was the fair amount you guys agreed upon? Others will want to know.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I only recall Tesla removing SC from 2017+ cars where the SC was tied to the first owner. I may have missed it but this is the first time I have read of this happening to a pre 2016 car in which the SC was for the life of the car regardless of transfers of ownership.

Interesting comments. I hope the OP got it resolved. Actually the opposite thing happened to me. I bought an MX without free supercharging. Three months later, they added free lifetime supercharging to my account (non transferable though) ! It was long before I was doing any consulting, so it had nothing to do with that.

• Helpful
Reactions: KrenGrl
I can see where some type of compensation from the third party seller would certainly be warranted if the car was advertised to have free supercharging or even Full Self Driving or AP and Tesla removed any one of those features. The free supercharging is probably the hardest to determine a fair value for since Tesla only sold it on the early 40's and 60's for $2,000 extra. So that's the only gauge on it's "value", but that was 8-9 years ago. FSD is easier to determine market value and is a feature that's typically listed on the window sticker, unless the owner purchased it after the fact. As with any type of case, they likely negotiated an amount that was agreed upon by both sides. The buyer certainly would have had justification for a lawsuit against the third party dealer for selling something that doesn't exist. Oops wait, maybe not, Tesla's been doing that for years! LOL. (Full Self Driving, New Roadster). Glad it got resolved for the OP in apparently, a satisfactory manner.

My recommendation, after having purchased and sold several Tesla's, if ever buying a used car from a private party person, ask the seller to set up a separate account for their Tesla that they won't need anymore, Then, DON"T TELL TESLA YOU BOUGHT IT!! Things with the car will stay the same. Simply change the e-mail and password on the EXISTING account and take it over without filling a transfer of ownership with Tesla. Naturally, still have to register the car in your state, but that's separate from telling Tesla you bought a used car. Tougher to do if you purchase it from a third party dealer. Unless the dealer is willing to contact the prior owner to get you access to the account the car is under in the same manner. Something a smaller deal "might" consider, but not probable and certainly unlikely from a larger dealership.

• Love
$2000 was for the ability to supercharge - which was also free for life. The ability to supercharge is really more than 50% of the value in my opinion.
We have a 2015 S and a 3. The S never gets supercharged anymore because it is too slow so we drive the 3 on SC trips even though the 3 costs to supercharge.
What can I get from Tesla since I lost the ability to supercharge? 40kw is not "super" charging.
I can't say that I would have paid more than $500 for the supercharging (at current rates if it wasn't free) I did and I have 92k miles. I do realize that FUSC for some is very valuable. But for the average person, that "free" part is not worth as much as they think it is. Full speed is worth more.

Reactions: boonedocks
I can't say that I would have paid more than $500 for the supercharging (at current rates if it wasn't free) I did and I have 92k miles. I do realize that FUSC for some is very valuable. But for the average person, that "free" part is not worth as much as they think it is. Full speed is worth more.
As I approach year 6 with my FUSC, I'd spitball I have used 5500 miles, mostly from four true multi-state road-trips. The sedan that was replaced was in the 20-25 mpg range...5500 mi / 25 mpg = 220 gal. I can't remember what the fuel prices were for each of the road trips, but $2.25/gal wouldn't be an absurd average for my area, and that would put me right near $500.

I'm right there with you, I'd pay Tesla $500 of my to-date use if I could be above 50 kW for more than those first ten minutes of charging again. As it stands now, if my destination is more than 300 miles away, it's not a place I'm going in the S.

True. And in some reported cases, even if it hasnt passed through TEslas hands..

You have to be careful with that, because people don't always know the complete history. For example:
  • Tesla sells care with lifetime, transferrable, FUSC.
  • Original owner trades car in to Tesla for another Tesla.
  • Tesla removes transferrable FUSC, and sells the car with FUSC limited to the current owner.
  • Second owner sells the car to the third owner.
  • Tesla turns off FUSC because it wasn't transferrable.
The third owner thought they were buying a car that never went back to Tesla, and had transferable FUSC because of the model year of the car and that they bought it private party, but it had already gone through Teslas hands and had the transferrable FUSC taken away.

My recommendation, after having purchased and sold several Tesla's, if ever buying a used car from a private party person, ask the seller to set up a separate account for their Tesla that they won't need anymore, Then, DON"T TELL TESLA YOU BOUGHT I
I'm curious - what if you need service? Would the owner have to choose between FSD or getting service? Assuming it's out of warranty, maybe depending on location maybe Electrified Garagr could do the work.

My recommendation, after having purchased and sold several Tesla's, if ever buying a used car from a private party person, ask the seller to set up a separate account for their Tesla that they won't need anymore, Then, DON"T TELL TESLA YOU BOUGHT IT!! Things with the car will stay the same. Simply change the e-mail and password on the EXISTING account and take it over without filling a transfer of ownership with Tesla.
That doesn't work if the seller has another Tesla in their account. As even them moving it to a different account that they own triggers a change of ownership where Tesla removes features. (People have found this out the hard way when they wanted to re-arrange how they managed their Tesla accounts and they lost non-transferrable FUSC when they moved it from one of their personal accounts to another one.)

Then there is the issue that @KArnold brought up, is Tesla will sometimes verify that the person bringing it in for service matches what their records show. What if you have to call Tesla to remotely unlock your car, are you going to claim to be the other person?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker