Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost Voice Commands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since my last over-the-air update, I have lost my ability to use voice commands. When I press the 'voice command' button on the yoke, I get a message that says "Connection Error: Try Again". Anyone else have this problem, or know of an easy fix? I hate to do a service call, as that means a 150-mile round trip.

Since the latest software update 2022.20.8 I have had consistent cellular connection issues. I am driving in areas that have never been problematic before. I also have 4+ bars of LTE. Seems to be most noticeable with voice commands and traffic data. Spotify though is also less reliable. This just started with the most recent 2022.*.* updates.

Reactions: Lpleiss
I have had same issue on and off for a few months now. The other day I rebooted while suoercharging and it suddenly worked. Yesterday I got the newest update .36.2 and I have rebooted twice no microphone, no voice commands, no phone mic when connected. Nothing but a big bummer. Looking for any guidance from others as to what tesla charges to fix update issues.

Wow! 60 views and not a one reply to my question. I guess I see just how much support I can expect from my fellow forum members.

BTW, I found a very simple fix to the problem.
The fix is go back to MCU 1. I’ve done every reset procedure, even reinstalled the firmware via service mode. I regret dropping nearly $2k for this upgrade when my MCU 1 was working perfectly fine. Even my mobile connect via the Tesla app was nearly instantaneous. Now it takes a good 20-30 seconds to connect to my car.

MCU2 should work better than MCU1. I suspect the antenna connection was not made securely, the cable connection perhaps broke or your new MCU2 has something wrong with it. It should be under warranty. My switch from MCU1 to MCU2 was painless (and more reliable).

it is not a connection issue. I have restarted the car and it works for a few calls and next time I drive it stops working. The other day I was suoercharging rebooted and it worked for the trip. Cannot seem to get anything to make sense out of it.

Two days after my full software reinstall via service mode my voice commands and TuneIn radio are all functioning. Not sure if that was the fix or Tesla did something on the backend since I had a service ticket open but worth a shot to anyone having this issue post MCU 2 upgrade.

I added a new driver profile but that did not help
What I did to finally figure my issue was removing and resetting up my web driver profile.
Nothing worked but my turning profiles off and then back on again was I able to get my voice commands to work. Been a month now and no issues
Can you be more specific on what you did to fix it? Had tesla service put yesterday and they replaced microphone and did some things but it is not fixed. They ordered a new steering wheel switch and plan to come back in two weeks. I don't think it has anything to do with switch since it seems to acknowledge each time I press it. But they are still trying to correct. I think it is a software bug, but they don't seem to agree with me. Waiting on new steering wheel switch and hoping someone here can help to direct me to a fix.

I wish I could be more specific because I was getting so frustrated.
But what all I did was delete my profile. Removed my phone as a key. Deleted my BT connection off my phone and then started to pair my phone back to the car. Did you have your profile associated with your account, meaning did you see your email address as a driver profile?

Got it working for me... Ran into exactly the same issue. Just upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 and when I got the car back I instantly got the connection error when pressing the voice button. Rebooting did nothing. Same issue over wifi. 2022.40.4 update came through and I installed it this morning. Still was not working after update and another reboot.

What I did to solve it was I removed all driver profiles from the car. I immediately pressed the voice button after removing the profiles and it started working again. I then added a new profile and saved to make sure it doesn't error again and I can confirm voice commands continue to work without delay with the profile added back.

I'm having a problem where my MS will act as if it's waiting for a voice command. It beeps, then waits (cutting off what's playing on audio). It will do this every few seconds. Then none of the functions on the click wheels will work, and also the horn won't honk. I've reset the car and updated the system.

I'm having a problem where my MS will act as if it's waiting for a voice command. It beeps, then waits (cutting off what's playing on audio). It will do this every few seconds. Then none of the functions on the click wheels will work, and also the horn won't honk. I've reset the car and updated the system.
Tesla came out and replaced the TALK button on my steering wheel. Works great now.