Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of "charging interrupted" and "charging complete" notifications lately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
For the the last month or two, I've been getting a lot (every 4-6 hours) of "charging complete" and "charging interrupted" notifications on the app AFTER completing a charge. I have no issues with a multi-hour charge when getting home at the end of the day. It starts and runs flawlessly. It appears that the car is topping off more frequently (for 1 or 2 miles of range) than usual and sending these app notifications.

AP1 car, 2020.48.12.1 (have 48.37.1 pending, but I've been ignoring it). MCU1 (replaced Mar 2020). No preconditioning or timed charges.

Any thoughts?

We've seen this at a destination charger - that would get multiple charging interrupted messages while trying to charge. We moved to a different charger and the warnings disappeared.

Is this happening with a wall charger (hard wired to power) or a universal mobile charger (plugged into a 50A, 30A or 110 outlet)?

If I was seeing this message frequently, I would be concerned about potential damage to the onboard charging hardware. While Tesla claims they have surge protection hardware on board - we had charging problems with our 2012 S P85 several years ago - which caused one of the 40A chargers to die immediately and the other died about a year later.

The problem could be with the onboard charging hardware, the wall connector/UMC or with the power itself.

To rule out the onboard charging hardware - try charging somewhere else (not a supercharger, which bypasses the onboard charging hardware) - if you can't find a 30A or 50A outlet, try a public charger (Blink, ChargePoint, ...). If this works, that should verify your on-board charging hardware is OK.

If this test fails and you used a UMC - then find a public charger that doesn't use the UMC. If that test is successful - you're onboard hardware is OK - and your UMC is bad. If this test fails, then your onboard charging hardware is bad.

And, if you haven't been able to determine if it's your UMC or the onboard charger - then the problem could be with your wall connector or home power - which may require a technician to come out to determine what's wrong.

This is a UMC plugged into a 50A outlet.

The odd thing is it NEVER happens with a big charge. For example, started a 200 mile charge about 3 hours ago and it's going perfectly. It only seems to happen at random times when the car is topping off just a few miles of vampire drain.

Thanks for your input.

Try lowering the charging rate to 30A.

When you're seeing the problem, you could also try plugging into a 15A (110V) outlet.

When the battery is close to a full charge, you could also try to use a public charger (with the J1772 adapter) - and see if the problem still happens (which would could help determine if it's your UMC, house power or onboard charger).

You could also call Tesla roadside assistance or your local service and have them pull the vehicle logs and/or have this checked during your next service visit (mobile service might also be able to look at this - at your house).