Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of CPO Model S cars on Tesla's website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eh, I don't think Ludicrous is added by default into all performance cars. It is a retrofit that they were kind enough to offer as a 5k upgrade to current owners, but there are actual parts that make that work, it isn't just a software limitation. My guess would be that right after they released this, they made a bunch of fully optioned show cars in order to let people test drive the new features. I know our store has a fully spec'd P90DL. It is likely just time to cycle that inventory if that car was made back in June or so...

I thought the discussion here on the forum was leaning towards all 90 kWh batteries having the hardware aspects of Ludicrous mode in them already. If so, it's just a software switch they could flip when they go to sell it.

OTOH, it's true that most of the P90Ds they'd order for demonstraters would benefit from having Ludicrous mode so they could show it off to potential customers, and this might just be a reflection of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully they start dropping the prices on those inventory ones. I tried spec'ing out a couple they had and it was extremely close to building a new one (within hundreds of dollars).

Tesla has a consistent formula for how they discount prices on loaners - I think it's something like a dollar per mile and a thousand per month.

While I'd love to buy a car for less money, there's no incentive for them to drop the prices since they are clearly getting plenty of turnover as it stands, especially from gotta have it now impulse buys.

I thought the discussion here on the forum was leaning towards all 90 kWh batteries having the hardware aspects of Ludicrous mode in them already. If so, it's just a software switch they could flip when they go to sell it.

OTOH, it's true that most of the P90Ds they'd order for demonstraters would benefit from having Ludicrous mode so they could show it off to potential customers, and this might just be a reflection of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla has a consistent formula for how they discount prices on loaners - I think it's something like a dollar per mile and a thousand per month.

While I'd love to buy a car for less money, there's no incentive for them to drop the prices since they are clearly getting plenty of turnover as it stands, especially from gotta have it now impulse buys.

I hadn't seen that discussion, I would be happy to go take a look if you know the thread that is happening in?

Umm... It's been a while, and my impression was that it was mostly folks who didn't have any hard facts to work with. I might be able to find it again, maybe. :-/

Was trying to keep that sidebar discussion out of this thread. But what I will say to that end is that it can't be "all" 90kWh options, since the regular 90s and 90Ds wouldn't have any of the other things to make it go fast (namely the bigger motor). My understanding was this was primarily and upgrade on the connectors from the battery pack that allowed higher Amps and more sustained high Amps before over heating, which would have no point being in a car that couldn't "use" it. So the only cars that make sense coming off the line with this preinstalled would be the P85Ds and P90Ds and it seems like a waste of their money to add the exotic materials to the car if they aren't going to get compensated for it.

Just my 2 cents. I'll happily continue this further in another thread if it can be located, but I would think that the P90DL test cars make the most sense here. Thanks for bringing it up though, as I hadn't heard about this before. Not opposed to having my views changed on the subject, that is just my initial reaction and thought to it after hearing it suggested.

The did, the last time i looked there wasn't many, now even here in Ohio they have a good few, HOWEVER the resale price on a used car even retail is WAAAy to high. it is nothing to do with value and everything to do with the fact Tesla is the only one who sells them no dealers and they are really kind of 1 of a kind vehicles until Faraday and the other one comes out.

They are selling for like only a few grand off their new price, that's bull. great to buy a new one. but technically speaking, that will be short lived. usually a car, no matter what drops at least 1/5 of its value on driving off the lot. ad a few thousand miles and even retail used that should be at least 25% off if not more.

Just my 2 cents. I just don't think the cars actually hold their value, its just that you cant really get them other places, and no competition, not to mention not many are selling the ones people want to compete with IE the ones with Autopilot etc.