Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of creaking coming from below driver's seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks -- 18 months into my MY experience and the first annoying sign of aging has appeared (on the car -- mine appeared long ago).

There seems to be a creaking that sounds like it is coming from the driver's seat or below it whenever the car comes to a stop or goes over a bump or pothole.

It sounds like an aging office chair that needs to be greased up.

I've tried to recreate it by moving around in the seat, but it doesn't happen, so I'm guessing it's coming from below.

I'm not much of a car expert, so maybe this is something obvious...

Hey folks -- 18 months into my MY experience and the first annoying sign of aging has appeared (on the car -- mine appeared long ago).

There seems to be a creaking that sounds like it is coming from the driver's seat or below it whenever the car comes to a stop or goes over a bump or pothole.

It sounds like an aging office chair that needs to be greased up.

I've tried to recreate it by moving around in the seat, but it doesn't happen, so I'm guessing it's coming from below.

I'm not much of a car expert, so maybe this is something obvious...
In my experience, the way you’re describing when it happens almost sounds like a suspension issue. I can’t say I’m positive though because I’m still new with the MY, but my previous ICE cars almost always had that sound associated to something with the suspension.

Sounds like suspension. My current ICE 1995 BMW M3 has the same sound, but my suspension has 190k miles on it. Could be rust starting on your springs. The sound is more pronounced when im turning onto my driveway over a hump. Been wanting to refresh my bilstein pss9 set up but I i think I’ll spend the money on a new coil over set up for the Tesla MY whenever it get here.

If you’re tall you might try moving the seat just a smidge forward from the furthest back position. I get creaking noises from mine when the seat is moved all the way back and down. If I move it just barely forward the noise goes away.

In my experience, the way you’re describing when it happens almost sounds like a suspension issue. I can’t say I’m positive though because I’m still new with the MY, but my previous ICE cars almost always had that sound associated to something with the suspension.
I think you’re right. With the radio off and the window open, it’s clearly coming from outside, so not the seat.

I think end of winter potholes got me.