Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of issues around my car purchase in Dec 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased MYP two days before end of year. Still haven't gotten my plates or registration due to missing documents and not a happy camper about the technically of the car wasn't going to qualify in 2023 and just recently that if I purchased the car in 2023 would qualify. I was semi fortunate to ger $7500 off + 10K free charging. The price reduction early January would have been a lower price even without the tax credit. Tesla owes me about $1200 for over payment that is said to be processing. I finally had time to detail the car after this weekend and found two paint chips/flaws on the drivers rear door. It looks like a white dot, but after further review it was more of a paint flaw that looks like a chip. I contacted Tesla service and told sorry your car is past 1K miles ( turned over 1K two days ago ) and 54 days old. So they owe me money and make the rules about how the paint flaw isn't covered. Not to say I have fake rear caliper covers and no parking radar sensors.

So all new buyers beware of the 1K / 1 month new car repair policy when buying a new Tesla.

My first car was rejected due to paint flaws, the second was picked up during heavy rain and that was a mistake. Never underestimate that they will not bend any rules and try to turn you away.

I purchased MYP two days before end of year. Still haven't gotten my plates or registration due to missing documents and not a happy camper about the technically of the car wasn't going to qualify in 2023 and just recently that if I purchased the car in 2023 would qualify. I was semi fortunate to ger $7500 off + 10K free charging. The price reduction early January would have been a lower price even without the tax credit. Tesla owes me about $1200 for over payment that is said to be processing. I finally had time to detail the car after this weekend and found two paint chips/flaws on the drivers rear door. It looks like a white dot, but after further review it was more of a paint flaw that looks like a chip. I contacted Tesla service and told sorry your car is past 1K miles ( turned over 1K two days ago ) and 54 days old. So they owe me money and make the rules about how the paint flaw isn't covered. Not to say I have fake rear caliper covers and no parking radar sensors.

So all new buyers beware of the 1K / 1 month new car repair policy when buying a new Tesla.

My first car was rejected due to paint flaws, the second was picked up during heavy rain and that was a mistake. Never underestimate that they will not bend any rules and try to turn you away.
It is 100 miles but as long as you put in a service request asap, they will honor what ever was wrong at delivery. I had some issues at delivery and mine had 84 miles at delivery so they told me 184 miles was my limit. There was a scuff on the bumper, seat had a stain, and the center console did not close right. They replaced both with new bumper, new seat, and a new center console but again I had it in the service app. These issues bothered me at delivery and I did not want to take delivery and they told me they will fix it and anything else as long as it is noted. I am sorry you had those issues.

Reactions: Mr_Joe

It's awful that your having this experience. I had trouble with registration. They were supposed to xfer tags and they got me new tags.....for the wrong class vehicle! It was a mess that took me over two months to clean up on my own time and expense. It took four months to get $125 reimbursed from Tesla but they eventually mailed a check ....I was persistent.

What you mention about the paint is a good point for any new Tesla owners waiting to take delivery. Thoroughly inspect your car on delivery day. Delivery issues must be reported in the app within the first 100 miles and I think only a few days. When you inspect the car log any issues at delivery in the app immediately but submitting a service request.

As far as the money they owe you...be persistent. Contact them every day or however often you feel appropriate until you receive the funds your due.

Are you at least enjoying the car? How is the braking performance? I have been told there isn't much difference. Hopefully Tesla will push the update to enable parking sensor with vision. I'm interested to see how it works compared to cars equipped with USS. At least you have a clean front bumper though right?

No car company is going to let you claim a paint defect months and 1k miles later.

The pricing roller coaster ride is 100% because of the federal government's IRA rollout disorder. Similar price gyrations happened in the past for non-Tesla vehicles (cash for clunkers, etc). Non-Tesla vehicles also have huge price swings between model years (by the choosing of the manufacturer).

I agree with your complaint about the registration and refund. I agree Tesla should have waited to stop building ultrasonic sensors until its replacement technology was active and ready.

Regarding the brakes, it is well known that you can't race a Tesla (or any vehicles in these price points) with stock brakes regardless. If you want to take the car on the track, you need to get better brakes and wheels anyways.