Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LOTS of Model threes being delivered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting nervous about the service situation. This is the next dangers zone for Tesla I think. I wish that someone had asked a question about service centers and mobile service investments during the earnings call.

I can see it now, reports start coming in about long wait times and the shorters/haters will go nuts. I don't think Tesla is ready. What do you think?

It really depends how much maintenance they really need.

My wife likes to get her oil changed only at a dealership. On a Saturday even with an appointment, booked weeks in advance, we might wait in line and it still takes an hour or two to change the oil (which is ridiculous). For her car brand there are three dealerships in the city. Perhaps there's a shortage of service places for ICEs.

This will be a huge problem for Tesla if they don't get a handle on it. Right now, they are more interested in pushing sales. There's the potential for a lot of unhappy owners if some major problem comes up with the design/components and there's a big recall.

I am getting nervous about the service situation. This is the next dangers zone for Tesla I think. I wish that someone had asked a question about service centers and mobile service investments during the earnings call.

I can see it now, reports start coming in about long wait times and the shorters/haters will go nuts. I don't think Tesla is ready. What do you think?

One can look at the job openings at
Search for Jobs | Tesla

Limiting the jobs to the 'Service' department shows a _lot_ of openings (someone smarter than me can surely count them).

In fact as far as I can see the number of jobs openings in the 'Service' department is as of now by far the largest of all the departments. So maybe Tesla has planned ahead on this.

I used mobile service this past week for a stuck door handle and replacement 12v battery on my S. I called at 6pm Tuesday. Mobile service came at noon the next day. And my local service center is delivering 30-40 cars a day. All this to say that the long waits aren’t universal.

No one asked about it because it's already known that Tesla already got plans in place to improve service:

Tesla implements series of new initiatives to improve its service as its fleet grows rapidly

Now Tesla has confirmed in a statement to Electrek that they opened a new parts distribution center in California, which has tripled the automaker’s fulfillment capacity for parts in North America, and they plan to open a similar facility in Europe.

A Tesla spokesperson explained the automaker’s latest programs to improve service in a statement today:

“Our global customer satisfaction scores for service are above 90% and at a high of 97% for our mobile service program, which lets us service vehicles in customers’ driveways or at their offices. Even in North America where our customer-base has grown by 75% over the last year, customer satisfaction for service has remained consistently above 90%. Tesla has also topped Consumer Reports’ customer satisfaction survey two years in a row, with 90% of Tesla owners saying they would buy the same car again – more than any other brand. While we’re incredibly proud of the customer support and service we offer, we’re always working to improve. Here are some of the programs underway to make sure all Tesla customers have an even more exceptional experience:

• Last quarter, we opened a new parts distribution center in California, which has tripled our fulfillment capacity for parts in North America and is helping to expedite the supply of parts to third party body shops. We’re in the process of opening a similar fulfillment center in Europe, which we expect to have the same impact.
  • For the first time, we’re trialing a small network of our own body repair shops in select markets to accommodate light repairs, with the opportunity to expand the program based on customer feedback and results.
  • Given the overwhelming success of our mobile service program, we are expanding the program from 25% coverage globally to 40% coverage globally by the end of the year.
  • While our call volumes have increased dramatically due to the overwhelming excitement around Model 3, this hasn’t impacted our ability to respond to emergency roadside events. We have plans in place to hire additional staff to support customers in the event that they are unable to find their answers on Tesla.com/Support or in their Tesla account.
  • We are aggressively hiring and expanding in markets where our customer satisfaction scores for service are below average. In Norway, for instance, we have already grown our service team by 30% compared to last year, and we’re in the process of opening a large new service center in Oslo this year. Recent feedback from customers in Norway indicates that the improvements have already made a difference.”

I recently schedule service in Milford CT for my MS. When I went online to schedule, same-day appointments were available.

I've heard the sky is falling ever since I got my car - there will be long queues at superchargers and service centers. 5 years later, and so far, so good.