Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of refinement between 2020 and 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3C089CC0-B9AD-4E4A-90D8-EAC7CBF9DE88.jpeg

I just took delivery of a 2022 MYP. Having come from a 2020 MYLR, I wanted to share my thoughts on the many refinements that I’m experiencing with the new car. Before my new delivery, I also had a 2022 MYP test drive vehicle (VIN: 2942xx) for a couple days where I noticed these refinements also.

I know there are reports of bad experiences with new deliveries so understand there can be outliers, but I’m hoping my experience is indicative of improvements in Tesla builds, as a whole.

Previous car:
2020 Long Range
VIN: 0523xx
20” Inductions
Sold at 11k miles

New car:
2022 Performance
VIN: 3273xx
Michelin AS4’s

Refinements that I‘m noticing:
  • Road noise is a lot quieter
    • I realize this could have something to do with my LR having older tires but the MYP is just a lot quieter when driving. Was driving last night at 60mph and thought I was going 40.
    • Maybe (hopefully) there is additional sound deadening in the newer builds.
  • Trunk opening is almost silent
    • My 2020 would have a loud “ka-chunk” sound, from the initial unlatching. It was loud enough to be concerned when I first got the LR but saw other reports of this and just got used to it. On my MYP, it really is almost silent when opening.
    • When the trunk is being latched closed, it’s super quiet also.
  • Opening windows is almost silent
    • Maybe I needed to clean my LR’s rubber seals or something but there would be a noise when initially opening the windows. I had no concerns with this noise previously, but I immediately noticed the quietness on the 2022’s.
  • Parking brake noise is a lot quieter
    • Both when engaging and releasing (going into Drive)
  • Door unlatching is quieter
I had no regrets or lasting concerns with my 2020 but, as you’re reading, my experience with the 2022’s is just that it’s a quieter, more refined, car overall. Hope this is the case for others. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 751887
I just took delivery of a 2022 MYP. Having come from a 2020 MYLR, I wanted to share my thoughts on the many refinements that I’m experiencing with the new car. Before my new delivery, I also had a 2022 MYP test drive vehicle (VIN: 2942xx) for a couple days where I noticed these refinements also.

I know there are reports of bad experiences with new deliveries so understand there can be outliers, but I’m hoping my experience is indicative of improvements in Tesla builds, as a whole.

Previous car:
2020 Long Range
VIN: 0523xx
20” Inductions
Sold at 11k miles

New car:
2022 Performance
VIN: 3273xx
Michelin AS4’s

Refinements that I‘m noticing:
  • Road noise is a lot quieter
    • I realize this could have something to do with my LR having older tires but the MYP is just a lot quieter when driving. Was driving last night at 60mph and thought I was going 40.
    • Maybe (hopefully) there is additional sound deadening in the newer builds.
  • Trunk opening is almost silent
    • My 2020 would have a loud “ka-chunk” sound, from the initial unlatching. It was loud enough to be concerned when I first got the LR but saw other reports of this and just got used to it. On my MYP, it really is almost silent when opening.
    • When the trunk is being latched closed, it’s super quiet also.
  • Opening windows is almost silent
    • Maybe I needed to clean my LR’s rubber seals or something but there would be a noise when initially opening the windows. I had no concerns with this noise previously, but I immediately noticed the quietness on the 2022’s.
  • Parking brake noise is a lot quieter
    • Both when engaging and releasing (going into Drive)
  • Door unlatching is quieter
I had no regrets or lasting concerns with my 2020 but, as you’re reading, my experience with the 2022’s is just that it’s a quieter, more refined, car overall. Hope this is the case for others. :)
You should have double laminated glass all around which makes a huge difference. Don't forget the heat pump, the chromatic mirrors, the AMD chip and the megacast, and the Sentry drive in the glove box. More goodies coming.

You should have double laminated glass all around which makes a huge difference. Don't forget the heat pump, the chromatic mirrors, the AMD chip and the megacast, and the Sentry drive in the glove box. More goodies coming.
Double laminated passenger/driver windows. AFAIK the rear door windows are still single pane in the US. Happy to be wrong.

Reactions: DesertSilver
I have a late 2020 model just before 21 came out. Everything is great on the car. Maybe I lucked out but fit and finish was as good as it gets. I have adjustable regen which is a must and radar/lidar autopilot that causes no or very little phantom braking and so far definitely a preferred system. I prefer the older centre console also although some may disagree. Mine also came wit the European design tail lights which are now found on all of them. Did they not remove the passenger lumbar support some time later in 21? The only item I would like to have had is the heated steering wheel which came a few months later. The early/mid 21 cars had everything one would want and to this day believe they are still the best equipped in general. From then they kept removing stuff and jacking up the price, apart from the addition of the bio weapon filter which is probably never going to be used unless your location has brush fires happening frequently or you have gas filled spouse/children. Not sure why heat pump was mentioned as the 1st Y off the assembly line had the heat pump.

Bottom line is the Y is an awesome car/crossover/SUV no matter how you label it. Buy it now, no point in waiting for something they may remove or add or maybe jack up the price a few more thousand.

Reactions: dfwatt
This just shows the Tesla will continue to improve their models. Looks like its best to lease instead of taking a 5 year old loan. I keep my cars around 10 years or so, but looks like the MY is not the one to keep for such a long time...

This just shows the Tesla will continue to improve their models. Looks like its best to lease instead of taking a 5 year old loan. I keep my cars around 10 years or so, but looks like the MY is not the one to keep for such a long time...
I generally agree with this. But Tesla has crap money factors and the deal breaker for me is not being able to buy out your lease. No bueno.

I've leased a Tacoma and 4Runner with awesome MFs. Sold the 4Runner at a profit and held on to my Tacoma. Which is apparently worth $10k more than I paid for it. Crazy times.

Reactions: preilly44
Just sold my 2021 Model Y after a year and 16,000 miles for $8000 more than I paid for it. Ordered a new Performance Model Y, on which I hope to get an $8-10,000 EV rebate. Expected delivery date Feb (hopefully from Austin). A lease would have been a bust for me. All situations are not the same. I never enjoy paying someone to USE their car. No money in it. Expensive transportation. Certain plans work better for some and certain plans for others. To each their own.

Last edited:
Reactions: preilly44
Not a fair comparison as all used cars have gone through the roof. Tesla offered me $25,000 for my Mercedes GLC 43 AMG 16 months ago when I got the Y. Decided to keep it and and let my wife drive it instead. Just got my S so my wife now has the Y. Put the Mercedes up for sale a couple of weeks ago. Sold it yesterday for $44,000. Decision to keep it had nothing to do with expecting to get more, just lucked out with no cars available around the globe where demand is driving prices higher and higher. Hopefully you will not wait 6 months+ for your new car but that does seem to be the approximate time frame nowadays.

I am/was in same boat as you. I recently sold my July 2020 MYLR and bought a new Nov 2022 (as I posted elsewhere, I made money by doing this!). The 2022 is MUCH better in all respects than the 2020. The build quality is perfect - no misaligned panels (the 2020 had panels all over the place). Gaps are consistent. Paint seems good. The center console is much nicer (IMO) and heated steering wheel is great.

Importantly the car just rattles a lot less than the 2020 model, which had this incessant rattle from one of the rear seat belts that never went away. This car just feels much more solid (not sure if it's my imagination or it actually is, but either way, it's a win for me).

I haven't tested Autopilot on highway yet, so that could be a downer (vs my radar-equipped 2020). But from a pure fit, finish and rattle point of view, it's a good upgrade (and did I mention I made $2000 by buying it?? LOL)
Hi there, would you share your experience about selling your 2020 and buying the 2022? especially making money on it :). Thank you.

Hi there, would you share your experience about selling your 2020 and buying the 2022? especially making money on it :). Thank you.
1) Check Carvana and Car Guru nd see what they are selling for in your area similarly equipped.

2) List your vehicle on CAR GURU
A greater percentage of hits than the others.
Make it look great!

3) Type up a bill of sale from any online sample

4) Sit back and wait for your email to go nutz.
I had five offers in two days (bought for $54k, sold for $62k after one year and 16k miles)

I bought a beautiful used 2014 like new with 112,000 miles to drive until my new Model YP comes in. (below). $32k

My delivery date has changed from February to March which I hope will assure that my new vehicle comes from giga Texas.

Attachments

• 1641074106908.jpg
    1641074106908.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: Noflash
I'm going to keep watching closely to all of the changes on the Y. Mine is June 2020. What I am missing that I would really love: heated steering wheel (I'm in Michigan), biodefense larger air filter, better sound dampening, slightly more range. What I am going to hold out for until I upgrade - air ride (hopefully in 2 years ish). That will be enough to make me want to upgrade it.

Regular life-cycle improvements happen with virtually every luxury OEM for what it's worth, excepting Lexus/Toyota's absurdly long life cycles. The Germans change up their models every 2-3 years.

I'm going to keep watching closely to all of the changes on the Y. Mine is June 2020. What I am missing that I would really love: heated steering wheel (I'm in Michigan), biodefense larger air filter, better sound dampening, slightly more range. What I am going to hold out for until I upgrade - air ride (hopefully in 2 years ish). That will be enough to make me want to upgrade it.
I went from a March 2020 YP to a December 2021 YP (build dates) and while I didn't have any panel gap issues in either, the '22 Y is a much, much better vehicle. It's amazing what a difference there is in everything from driving to closing the rear hatch. Upgrade!

I found more differences:
  • Hood baffle (large pad on underside) went from hard plastic to a much softer material and compresses where it contacts the hood. Might be why the frunk opens/closes much easier.
  • Steering column plastic shroud redesigned eliminating the creaking and clicking when activating the turn signal lever. Silent now when using.
  • The dash HVAC venting has been updated - the side defroster ducts are much larger as is the vertical air stream opening.
  • Outside door handles are all perfectly flush with door panels - were recessed slightly on my 2019 M3 and 2020 MY.
  • Sound system sounds different - with settings on both cars set identically, 2022 is more front-biased to my ear.
  • Carpeted panels on back of 2nd row seats thicker and more firmly attached.
  • Definite change in front seat padding density. Feels like memory foam in bolsters.
  • Larger drivers side wiper arm with arched design and several large sprayers. Only downside is it is now visible from the drivers seat when parked.
  • Hatch threshold trim redesigned. Fits flush with side panels now and is thicker plastic.

It appears that the first vehicles off the line at giga Berlin and giga Austin with 4680 batteries will be Model Y Performance now evidenced in photos.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220114-225950_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220114-225950_Chrome.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 122
I'm curious, when people say they've made money or profited off selling their 2020 models and getting into 2021 or 2022 because of the high demand and long wait times, are they contemplating sales tax also? Or just price of car + any rebates? I mean it would make sense to include sales tax since that's still money spent.

I have a 2020 LR MY and looking into the 2022 MYP. I bought my car out the door for $60K ($56K + sales tax). Even if I sell my car for say $62K (I don't think I can after looking at comps at CarMax, Carvana, etc.) and get a brand new MYP, that'll still cost me around $70K ($65K + sales tax). I still spent $8K more. I'm not using LR as a option because of the long wait list.

Am I missing something when I hear all these people saying they've made money on this tactic?