Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of refinement between 2020 and 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3C089CC0-B9AD-4E4A-90D8-EAC7CBF9DE88.jpeg

I just took delivery of a 2022 MYP. Having come from a 2020 MYLR, I wanted to share my thoughts on the many refinements that I’m experiencing with the new car. Before my new delivery, I also had a 2022 MYP test drive vehicle (VIN: 2942xx) for a couple days where I noticed these refinements also.

I know there are reports of bad experiences with new deliveries so understand there can be outliers, but I’m hoping my experience is indicative of improvements in Tesla builds, as a whole.

Previous car:
2020 Long Range
VIN: 0523xx
20” Inductions
Sold at 11k miles

New car:
2022 Performance
VIN: 3273xx
Michelin AS4’s

Refinements that I‘m noticing:
  • Road noise is a lot quieter
    • I realize this could have something to do with my LR having older tires but the MYP is just a lot quieter when driving. Was driving last night at 60mph and thought I was going 40.
    • Maybe (hopefully) there is additional sound deadening in the newer builds.
  • Trunk opening is almost silent
    • My 2020 would have a loud “ka-chunk” sound, from the initial unlatching. It was loud enough to be concerned when I first got the LR but saw other reports of this and just got used to it. On my MYP, it really is almost silent when opening.
    • When the trunk is being latched closed, it’s super quiet also.
  • Opening windows is almost silent
    • Maybe I needed to clean my LR’s rubber seals or something but there would be a noise when initially opening the windows. I had no concerns with this noise previously, but I immediately noticed the quietness on the 2022’s.
  • Parking brake noise is a lot quieter
    • Both when engaging and releasing (going into Drive)
  • Door unlatching is quieter
I had no regrets or lasting concerns with my 2020 but, as you’re reading, my experience with the 2022’s is just that it’s a quieter, more refined, car overall. Hope this is the case for others. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered towards end of Aug. 2021 and originally was supposed to take delivery at end of Dec but kept getting pushed out back and forth.

With the new camera system, they are limiting to 80 mph “for now”
Not gonna lie, the limit is very annoying. We have highways out here that are 70mph. Going 10 over is pretty normal... but there are occasions when I would like to speed up temporarily to pass. But if I do, the car yells at me and disables AP until I stop the car. Probably not a popular take but there are times when I like to go 15 over in the empty left lane and just pass everyone. I have to be somewhat vigilant for cops but sometimes I prefer that as opposed to sitting in the middle lane going 10 over with no overhead for additional speed on AP and having to deal with constantly changing lanes.

Not gonna lie, the limit is very annoying. We have highways out here that are 70mph. Going 10 over is pretty normal... but there are occasions when I would like to speed up temporarily to pass. But if I do, the car yells at me and disables AP until I stop the car. Probably not a popular take but there are times when I like to go 15 over in the empty left lane and just pass everyone. I have to be somewhat vigilant for cops but sometimes I prefer that as opposed to sitting in the middle lane going 10 over with no overhead for additional speed on AP and having to deal with constantly changing lanes.
just disable autopilot while you pass and reengage it when you're done.

Yeah. I subscribed just to check it out. The lane change should absolutely be part of basic auto pilot. IMHO.
Even if its not, the car should act like all other cars with L2 autonomy.... when you put on your blinker, it should (silently) turn off lane keeping, once you change lanes and turn off your blinker it should (silently) resume lane keeping. My older cars behave like that. Its quite intuitive and peaceful in the car.

With the Tesla there are lots of noises, music dimming, etc. just to change lanes while on AP. My guess is its to encourage ppl to buy FSD, no other reason for it to be that frustrating.

I thought the rattles were part of the Tesla experience? My rattles seem to be moving around my car. Never at the same place. Sometimes it’s behind the dash, sometimes the back seat, sometimes in the door. It’s exciting because I never know where the next rattle will come from. Took delivery 7 months ago.
Somewhat surprising to hear this. We have two of the very early 2018 performance model 3s which purportedly had more build quality issues. Not a rattle ever

Very happy to hear many model y builds are flawless. I examine new model Y’s with paper license plates (means car is fairly new in California) when I see them around town and most exterior fit & finish seem good. Admittedly I get jealous as my 2022 model y had some very bad fit and finish. Tesla agreed with 3/4 of my concerns and sent car to a body shop last month. My car was in a dark area when I was given chance to inspect during pickup so I missed noticing the issues. car is still in service center due to electronics issue developing as car was driven from body shop to tesla service center. My 2022 model y has many rattles and odd sounds from interior. Looking coward to debugging those once I get my car back.

Last edited:
I thought the rattles were part of the Tesla experience? My rattles seem to be moving around my car. Never at the same place. Sometimes it’s behind the dash, sometimes the back seat, sometimes in the door. It’s exciting because I never know where the next rattle will come from. Took delivery 7 months ago.
Yeah, that *sugar* gets annoying. For the past few months, I've spent quite a few mins every time I drive the car looking for what the hell is making that sound. The usual culprit is the seatbelt caught up against the fender flare. But there is something in the back I just cannot find. I pulled over just this morning looking all around the back seat and hatch area for it. Even moved a couple of things in sub-floor storage components and put microfiber towels underneath. I still cannot find what is causing that rattle back there.

Even worst than the rattle. And Im like okay.. let's play something to drown it out. And then I get pissed all over again when I have to pick up my phone, click on Podcasts, scroll through them to the episode I want, and of course click play. All over sorry ass Bluetooth because Tesla still doesn't have CarPlay!!

After a year + 14,400 miles of driving. My '21 is pretty solid.. no real gaps, leaks or outstanding road noise. But the rattles that come & go annoy the hell the outta me. I guess at some point I'll try pulling absolutely everything out the rear of the car and seeing if becomes silent again.

Yeah, that *sugar* gets annoying. For the past few months, I've spent quite a few mins every time I drive the car looking for what the hell is making that sound. The usual culprit is the seatbelt caught up against the fender flare. But there is something in the back I just cannot find. I pulled over just this morning looking all around the back seat and hatch area for it. Even moved a couple of things in sub-floor storage components and put microfiber towels underneath. I still cannot find what is causing that rattle back there.

Even worst than the rattle. And Im like okay.. let's play something to drown it out. And then I get pissed all over again when I have to pick up my phone, click on Podcasts, scroll through them to the episode I want, and of course click play. All over sorry ass Bluetooth because Tesla still doesn't have CarPlay!!

After a year + 14,400 miles of driving. My '21 is pretty solid.. no real gaps, leaks or outstanding road noise. But the rattles that come & go annoy the hell the outta me. I guess at some point I'll try pulling absolutely everything out the rear of the car and seeing if becomes silent again.
I’ve accepted the fact that Elon isn’t giving us CarPlay even though I think its a legit safety issue for exactly what you described. At least give us an app for Apple Music and XM Radio, just like we have for Spotify. That would make it so much better.

My rattles come and go. Sometimes I get in the car and its solid as a rock. Other times, not so much. Sometimes its both. As the car gets warmer inside the rattles seem to subside. Oh and while I’m complaining, can someone tell me why the auto bright headlights dont stay in the auto setting? Again, its totally random. Sometimes I get in and they are still on auto. Other times they are not.

I’ve accepted the fact that Elon isn’t giving us CarPlay even though I think its a legit safety issue for exactly what you described. At least give us an app for Apple Music and XM Radio, just like we have for Spotify. That would make it so much better.

My rattles come and go. Sometimes I get in the car and its solid as a rock. Other times, not so much. Sometimes its both. As the car gets warmer inside the rattles seem to subside. Oh and while I’m complaining, can someone tell me why the auto bright headlights dont stay in the auto setting? Again, its totally random. Sometimes I get in and they are still on auto. Other times they are not.
Yeah, it's crazy the people who diss CarPlay. Then again it's pretty much only *some* Tesla owners at this point.. everybody else loves it. We've purchased 4 new vehicles since 2018. Two ICE back in 2018.. both eventually traded for two EVs in 2021. Guess which was the only vehicle that didn't come with CarPlay? Having to pick up my iPhone, hold it to my face to unlock it, and then press tiny little app buttons, icons and links just feel ridiculously silly whenever I'm driving my Tesla. It's absolutely a step backward from being able to operate the most popular features from my phone via the huge touchscreen plastered right in the center of the dash. I won't even go into the issues with Bluetooth streaming quality or that sometimes my car doesn't find my phone via BT (even though I know it used BT to unlock & start the vehicle).

Same here with the rattles. Which are a blessing and a curse. Because just when I believe I've found it and fixed it. It comes back later on a different point in the car. I do keep Britax Marathon car seats in Y permanently. The only time I take them out is because one of our twins, has spilled something or had an accident and I need to clean up everything. So either of the car seats could definitely be the culprit, especially considering they are latched onto the rear seat.. which in itself folds down completely. That's a lot of moving parts. That said.. those same car seats.. have been in all 4 of the vehicles I mentioned above.. all SUV-type vehicles with rear flat-folding seats.. and the only rattles have been in the Tesla. I'm almost certain it's a combination of the stiff ride + something with the car seats (or rear seat) that's causing it. I'd be very interested in knowing if either the Model S or X had issues with rattles.. due to the air suspension and softer, more luxurious ride.

As I said earlier, one day when I'm bored enough or just all-out frustrated. I'm literally pulling everything out the back of the car and seeing if that finally fixes it for good. If it does I'll put stuff back in little by little hoping to finally identify it. My wife is just going to have to deal with me driving her car every day until I finish troubleshooting the problem.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi