Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of refinement between 2020 and 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3C089CC0-B9AD-4E4A-90D8-EAC7CBF9DE88.jpeg

I just took delivery of a 2022 MYP. Having come from a 2020 MYLR, I wanted to share my thoughts on the many refinements that I’m experiencing with the new car. Before my new delivery, I also had a 2022 MYP test drive vehicle (VIN: 2942xx) for a couple days where I noticed these refinements also.

I know there are reports of bad experiences with new deliveries so understand there can be outliers, but I’m hoping my experience is indicative of improvements in Tesla builds, as a whole.

Previous car:
2020 Long Range
VIN: 0523xx
20” Inductions
Sold at 11k miles

New car:
2022 Performance
VIN: 3273xx
Michelin AS4’s

Refinements that I‘m noticing:
  • Road noise is a lot quieter
    • I realize this could have something to do with my LR having older tires but the MYP is just a lot quieter when driving. Was driving last night at 60mph and thought I was going 40.
    • Maybe (hopefully) there is additional sound deadening in the newer builds.
  • Trunk opening is almost silent
    • My 2020 would have a loud “ka-chunk” sound, from the initial unlatching. It was loud enough to be concerned when I first got the LR but saw other reports of this and just got used to it. On my MYP, it really is almost silent when opening.
    • When the trunk is being latched closed, it’s super quiet also.
  • Opening windows is almost silent
    • Maybe I needed to clean my LR’s rubber seals or something but there would be a noise when initially opening the windows. I had no concerns with this noise previously, but I immediately noticed the quietness on the 2022’s.
  • Parking brake noise is a lot quieter
    • Both when engaging and releasing (going into Drive)
  • Door unlatching is quieter
I had no regrets or lasting concerns with my 2020 but, as you’re reading, my experience with the 2022’s is just that it’s a quieter, more refined, car overall. Hope this is the case for others. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am/was in same boat as you. I recently sold my July 2020 MYLR and bought a new Nov 2022 (as I posted elsewhere, I made money by doing this!). The 2022 is MUCH better in all respects than the 2020. The build quality is perfect - no misaligned panels (the 2020 had panels all over the place). Gaps are consistent. Paint seems good. The center console is much nicer (IMO) and heated steering wheel is great.

Importantly the car just rattles a lot less than the 2020 model, which had this incessant rattle from one of the rear seat belts that never went away. This car just feels much more solid (not sure if it's my imagination or it actually is, but either way, it's a win for me).

I haven't tested Autopilot on highway yet, so that could be a downer (vs my radar-equipped 2020). But from a pure fit, finish and rattle point of view, it's a good upgrade (and did I mention I made $2000 by buying it?? LOL)

I just took delivery of a 2022 MYP.

Any “humming sound” coming from the front passenger side of the dash (as referenced in a decent sized thread in this forum) ? Getting in the car with HVAC off and just sitting in it will demonstrate the sound.

That is the main thing holding me back on my order… 4/5 of the demo vehicles at our service center had this issue and people are still reporting it in the thread.

Any “humming sound” coming from the front passenger side of the dash (as referenced in a decent sized thread in this forum) ? Getting in the car with HVAC off and just sitting in it will demonstrate the sound.

That is the main thing holding me back on my order… 4/5 of the demo vehicles at our service center had this issue and people are still reporting it in the thread.
Is this really an "issue" or just a normal behavior!? I don't know

Importantly the car just rattles a lot less than the 2020 model, which had this incessant rattle from one of the rear seat belts that never went away. This car just feels much more solid (not sure if it's my imagination or it actually is, but either way, it's a win for me).

That is great to hear.. my 2021 Y SR has a lot of rattles. Hopefully this build quality improvement will be permanent for future years.

Reactions: t00taloo
Is this really an "issue" or just a normal behavior!? I don't know

I have two teslas right now that do not make this noise. A 2020 3 and a 2021 Y.

My speculation is parts availability issues caused tesla to use another manufacturer and whoever is making the pumps now they end up being loud. But who knows. All I know is that sound should not be normal. If it is the “new normal” I don’t think I’ll be able to buy another tesla.

I could be mistaken but I believe I heard this same sound in my 2020. I don’t have my 2022 at the moment but can check later.

That being said, if it is the noise I had on my 2020, I didn’t think anything of it since I would expect to hear various noises as all the systems are running.

I am/was in same boat as you. I recently sold my July 2020 MYLR and bought a new Nov 2022 (as I posted elsewhere, I made money by doing this!). The 2022 is MUCH better in all respects than the 2020. The build quality is perfect - no misaligned panels (the 2020 had panels all over the place). Gaps are consistent. Paint seems good. The center console is much nicer (IMO) and heated steering wheel is great.

I haven't tested Autopilot on highway yet, so that could be a downer (vs my radar-equipped 2020). But from a pure fit, finish and rattle point of view, it's a good upgrade (and did I mention I made $2000 by buying it?? LOL)
That’s awesome that you came out ahead. According to my calculations, it cost me $700 to go from my Sept 2020 11k mile LR to the new MYP. Glad we’re able to take advantage of the market like this.

That being said, if it is the noise I had on my 2020, I didn’t think anything of it since I would expect to hear various noises as all the systems are running.

My current teslas make a noise when the system is running, only it is a light whirring sound. My assumption is this is the same “pump” that can be loud on some new cars now. only instead of the far more tolerable “whirring” sound, the new sound is like an electrical transformer. It is a deep hum that IMO is very distracting, and it never stops until the car goes to sleep.

everyone has different tolerances though. It may not bother some.

That’s awesome that you came out ahead. According to my calculations, it cost me $700 to go from my Sept 2020 11k mile LR to the new MYP. Glad we’re able to take advantage of the market like this.
I wonder if I lucked out. My car was July 2020 with just over 18k miles. Carbuyerusa gave me $60k for it. New one was locked in pre multiple price hikes and total out the door was $58k and change (with same options as previously)

• Love
Reactions: RNHurt and ftmaybe
I just took delivery of a 2022 MYP. Having come from a 2020 MYLR, I wanted to share my thoughts on the many refinements that I’m experiencing with the new car. Before my new delivery, I also had a 2022 MYP test drive vehicle (VIN: 2942xx) for a couple days where I noticed these refinements also.

I know there are reports of bad experiences with new deliveries so understand there can be outliers, but I’m hoping my experience is indicative of improvements in Tesla builds, as a whole.

Previous car:
2020 Long Range
VIN: 0523xx
20” Inductions
Sold at 11k miles

New car:
2022 Performance
VIN: 3273xx
Michelin AS4’s

Refinements that I‘m noticing:
  • Road noise is a lot quieter
    • I realize this could have something to do with my LR having older tires but the MYP is just a lot quieter when driving. Was driving last night at 60mph and thought I was going 40.
    • Maybe (hopefully) there is additional sound deadening in the newer builds.
  • Trunk opening is almost silent
    • My 2020 would have a loud “ka-chunk” sound, from the initial unlatching. It was loud enough to be concerned when I first got the LR but saw other reports of this and just got used to it. On my MYP, it really is almost silent when opening.
    • When the trunk is being latched closed, it’s super quiet also.
  • Opening windows is almost silent
    • Maybe I needed to clean my LR’s rubber seals or something but there would be a noise when initially opening the windows. I had no concerns with this noise previously, but I immediately noticed the quietness on the 2022’s.
  • Parking brake noise is a lot quieter
    • Both when engaging and releasing (going into Drive)
  • Door unlatching is quieter
I had no regrets or lasting concerns with my 2020 but, as you’re reading, my experience with the 2022’s is just that it’s a quieter, more refined, car overall. Hope this is the case for others. :)
It’s good to hear from one that had positive experience. Could you mind sharing how you sold your car? Thanks!