Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of refinement between 2020 and 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3C089CC0-B9AD-4E4A-90D8-EAC7CBF9DE88.jpeg

I just took delivery of a 2022 MYP. Having come from a 2020 MYLR, I wanted to share my thoughts on the many refinements that I’m experiencing with the new car. Before my new delivery, I also had a 2022 MYP test drive vehicle (VIN: 2942xx) for a couple days where I noticed these refinements also.

I know there are reports of bad experiences with new deliveries so understand there can be outliers, but I’m hoping my experience is indicative of improvements in Tesla builds, as a whole.

Previous car:
2020 Long Range
VIN: 0523xx
20” Inductions
Sold at 11k miles

New car:
2022 Performance
VIN: 3273xx
Michelin AS4’s

Refinements that I‘m noticing:
  • Road noise is a lot quieter
    • I realize this could have something to do with my LR having older tires but the MYP is just a lot quieter when driving. Was driving last night at 60mph and thought I was going 40.
    • Maybe (hopefully) there is additional sound deadening in the newer builds.
  • Trunk opening is almost silent
    • My 2020 would have a loud “ka-chunk” sound, from the initial unlatching. It was loud enough to be concerned when I first got the LR but saw other reports of this and just got used to it. On my MYP, it really is almost silent when opening.
    • When the trunk is being latched closed, it’s super quiet also.
  • Opening windows is almost silent
    • Maybe I needed to clean my LR’s rubber seals or something but there would be a noise when initially opening the windows. I had no concerns with this noise previously, but I immediately noticed the quietness on the 2022’s.
  • Parking brake noise is a lot quieter
    • Both when engaging and releasing (going into Drive)
  • Door unlatching is quieter
I had no regrets or lasting concerns with my 2020 but, as you’re reading, my experience with the 2022’s is just that it’s a quieter, more refined, car overall. Hope this is the case for others. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Only reason for CarPlay and android auto existence is terrible Infotainment systems in Legacy cars. Tesla doesn’t suffer from it.
Ummmm, yeah it does. Have you tried to use TuneIn? it makes Tesla's V11 look good.

There are many reasons to use CarPlay/Android Auto that have been well-elucidated in other threads. You should try reading them before commenting.

Reactions: Riguy
Ummmm, yeah it does. Have you tried to use TuneIn? it makes Tesla's V11 look good.

There are many reasons to use CarPlay/Android Auto that have been well-elucidated in other threads. You should try reading them before commenting.
You need to realize that Tesla is not your typical car company, they do things their own way. So CarPlay/Androidauto won’t happen. When you finally take that info in you can be happier with your Tesla.

I cringe every time I have to use CarPlay in my wife’s car. Feels like Apple has been slipping lately on quality. I have iPhone 13 Pro.

Overall experience in the Tesla is so much better than hacked in CarPlay. Jumping back and forth between CarPlay and the cars interface drives me nuts. Screens are to small to do more than one thing at a time.

V11 is getting more awesome every day. Especially in Refresh S/X. I love it.

One complaint I do have is you can’t search songs / artists on USB music.

You need to realize that Tesla is not your typical car company, they do things their own way. So CarPlay/Androidauto won’t happen. When you finally take that info in you can be happier with your Tesla.
I don't disagree with you, and in general Tesla's interface is better than most (at least was until they decided to let a 4 year old design the latest version.) If they were to have better apps and/or open their interface to 3rd party apps to give people more choice then the need for CarPlay would be obviated.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Only reason for CarPlay and android auto existence is terrible Infotainment systems in Legacy cars. Tesla doesn’t suffer from it.
I have a different perception of this issue - the lack of ABRP, Waze, WhatsApp, Viber, and Telegram, as an example, hinders usability while traveling long distances or responding to calls while driving.

I have a different perception of this issue - the lack of ABRP, Waze, WhatsApp, Viber, and Telegram, as an example, hinders usability while traveling long distances or responding to calls while driving.
good bc for me it hinders safety of others on the road if you are mangling with all this apps instead of paying attention to the road.