Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of screen glitches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 M3 with ~8k.

The screen has been running like an Android phone as of late.

• Twice it has completely frozen, only a soft reboot would fix it.
  • Back Camera shows last image then goes into camera mode.
    • I.E. I back into the garage, so last thing it sees in reverse is my toolbox. I will drive to go the store and put it in reverse and for a split second it shows the last image (my toolbox) then goes into regular camera mode)
  • Sound/Audio has been unreliable.
    • Getting TuneIn to play consistently has been a challenge for a while, even though we always have strong signal.
    • Static noises when changing volume
    • Volume very quiet on phone calls even when max volume
    • Volume level seems to go up and down during music (no visual indication of this, just recognize it audibly)

Anyone experience these issues? Any thoughts on resolving? I thought about a hard reboot but not sure what all that resets. Would be annoying if it resets seats and mirror settings.

2020 M3 with ~8k.

The screen has been running like an Android phone as of late.

• Twice it has completely frozen, only a soft reboot would fix it.
  • Back Camera shows last image then goes into camera mode.
    • I.E. I back into the garage, so last thing it sees in reverse is my toolbox. I will drive to go the store and put it in reverse and for a split second it shows the last image (my toolbox) then goes into regular camera mode)
  • Sound/Audio has been unreliable.
    • Getting TuneIn to play consistently has been a challenge for a while, even though we always have strong signal.
    • Static noises when changing volume
    • Volume very quiet on phone calls even when max volume
    • Volume level seems to go up and down during music (no visual indication of this, just recognize it audibly)

Anyone experience these issues? Any thoughts on resolving? I thought about a hard reboot but not sure what all that resets. Would be annoying if it resets seats and mirror settings.
Never hurts to share what version of software you are on, and looking in the software thread to see if others have had the same...

Yesterday my screen on Tesla 3LR went completely blank. Except the screen all controls seem to be working. When I tried rebooting (holding both the controls on the steering wheel) nothing seemed to happen. As the screen is blank nothing SEEM to be happening. But I realized it is rebooting (if the radio is on then it goes off and couple of minutes later it comes back up) but the screen never lit up. When it was in park I touched the screen and the trunk popped up. So obviously even the touchscreen was working but nothing showed up on it. Finally, it was towed by Tesla to their service center. Most probably the screen has to changed. Waiting for Tesla to call. 23 K and less than 3 years old.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Yesterday my screen on Tesla 3LR went completely blank. Except the screen all controls seem to be working. When I tried rebooting (holding both the controls on the steering wheel) nothing seemed to happen. As the screen is blank nothing SEEM to be happening. But I realized it is rebooting (if the radio is on then it goes off and couple of minutes later it comes back up) but the screen never lit up. When it was in park I touched the screen and the trunk popped up. So obviously even the touchscreen was working but nothing showed up on it. Finally, it was towed by Tesla to their service center. Most probably the screen has to changed. Waiting for Tesla to call. 23 K and less than 3 years old.
Update: Yea, the screen is being replaced. As it is back ordered it will take at least four days I am told. Meanwhile, as it is Easter and all that no loaner cars available at Enterprise (that Tesla uses). So they gave me Uber coupons - all $600 worth and I think that is lot of coupons. I may have to use them to pick up the car when it is ready as the service station is some 60 miles away from me.

Ok, I removed the flash drive for cameras since it was full. Did a screen reboot a few days ago. Was frozen this morning. Did a screen reboot then a power reset. I don't think it will do much as I think it does the power reset every night. I guess if it happens again, next step is hard reset, and then service.

BTW software is 4.12

1) My Model 3 2021 Summon has disappeared from Controls>Settings>Auto pilot. How do I get it back?

2) Also my screen went black as well 2X. Made a service call and a Tesla guy came to my garage and did something to get it back. It's working well now.

I’ve had similar issues with my screen not responding when I press buttons. It’s frozen for about a minute before I can do anything. Seems to be a recent bug as I never really had this issue usually occurs when the cars been asleep for a while. I’m on firmware 2021.4.12.