Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lotus Elise with Tesla Roadster softtop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 2007 Lotus Elise with the Tesla Roadster softtop installed on it. Proving that aftermarket Lotus Elise parts should fit on a Tesla Roadster.

We were all in Redmond Washington at the Saturday morning exotic car show. The Tesla Roadsters and Lotus Elise cars were lined up together because of the similarities. We started experimenting with the softtops to see if they were a match. The Lotus owner was telling us about an aftermarket T-top available for the Lotus Elise. So logically it should fit on a Tesla also.

3824255554_fb723a5099_b_d.jpg

Dang, I must have just missed you guys. My daughter and I were down there late this morning, and saw the BMWs in the background, but no Teslas.

A couple weeks ago I went to a Lotus dealer and noted the soft-top mounting points sure looked the same, although I am not sure how the hard top mounts (I don't have mine yet). So I contacted Sector111 and asked if their hard tops fit the Tesla; they said sorry, but no.

An aftermarket T-Top for the Elise sounds very interesting. But, hard to find...

Here's an older thread when one version was being announced.

Gull Wing Roof Deposits Being Accepted... - PureSportsCar.com

It sounds like at least three companies have tried this. At least one of them caused a LOT of wind noise, and wasn't guaranteed waterproof. The manufacturers were

AutoStyle Solutions
MiddleMoor Mouldings
Production Glassfibre Co (UK)
Lotus ?? (they at least had a concept, but I don't see evidence that they really built it)

and some distributors were

Autostyle Solutions (still has product on site, Hunting Ridge Motors: Lotus Elise Gullwing Hardtop)
Hunting Ridge Motors (now defunct)
Sector111 (still around, but not selling them)

Here's a thread where somebody is selling some leftovers now, but it doesn't look (?) to me like they will fit the Tesla, as they go over the roll bar rather than fit in to the soft top slots.

Gullwings Tops for Lotus Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

If anybody knows of any other options (especially ones that might fit our cars!) it would be great to hear about them.

Thanks,
Chad

I would definitely be interested in a Gullwing Top if it would fit the Roadster, the advantage for my usage is that it can be easily opened. This makes it easier getting in/out of the car. It also looks cool. But unfortunately, it does not seem to be produced or sold anymore (I called the company linked above).