TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lotus EV

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by graham, Jan 1, 2009.

1. graham

graham Active Member

Apparently Lotus intends to introduce their new EV at the Geneva Motor show event. Should be interesting if the Model S will be introduced there as well.

Business finance news - currency market news - online UK currency markets - financial news - Interactive Investor

2. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

#2 JRP3, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  3. graham

graham Active Member

I assume this means it at least has a plug? You would think it would with the Range Extended EV terminology that they are using - but I am not sure I trust even that without it being explicitly stated.

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#4 dpeilow, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
    Hmm, with an engine and batteries, I doubt this will be squeezed into an Elise or its derivatives. Evora anyone? Maybe that Zap X thing.

I'll start the speculation - they already have a well established relationship with Toyota and we know Toyota knows a thing or two about hybrids...

As an aside:

Exactly why I don't think the others should get a bailout. What's the point in smart companies trying to stay ahead of the game if the government alters the playing field?

EDIT: ABG picks it up: Lotus set to challenge Tesla and Fisker with extended range EV - AutoblogGreen

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#5 doug, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
    It's been mentioned before that Evora would make a good name for an EV... EVora, as it were.
    I'm still hoping the Roadster can get an Evora interior upgrade.

6. siry

siry Member

I doubt it would be the APX because they would have to fund development of a whole new vehicle platform and why spend the money on that when you have just invested a significant amount on the Eagle platform.

The Eagle is interesting because you can use the +2 area for packaging part of the powertrain. So in theory they could have the engine/genset in the place where the engine is today and package batteries in the +2 area. Assuming they would use iron phosphate or a similar high power/cycle life cell then the total volume of that area is not likely to give you a very good range before the genset kicks in.

7. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

I imagine that there is some form of agreement with Tesla by which Lotus is restricted in developing a rival BEV for some period of time.

Even if an EREV doesn't float your boat, it's all good for reducing the number of petrol miles driven.

8. graham

graham Active Member

Oh God! No more lawsuits, please!

9. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Wikipedia suggests that the Zap X project has been cancelled:

Do we know if anything concrete was developed for this or was it all vapourware?

EVORA: Electric Vehicle with Onboard Range Augmentation :biggrin:

So is this a hint that it could be a Lotus-GM or Lotus-A123 tie up? Or am I reading too much into your post Darryl? Certainly Lotus and GM have been bedfellows in the past too (as the article mentions).

I've only seen the Evora on a spinning turntable at the motor show. Could you get the Tesla battery in the +2 area - particularly if a smaller ICE than the Toyota unit was used.? A similar sized iron phosphate battery would give a good range by REEV standards but be heavy in conjunction with the ICE, so maybe we are back to Volt electric range. Or maybe they will not go with iron phosphate.

Should be interesting...

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Would Tesla have had enough clout to enforce this on Lotus when they were starting out?

11. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Wouldn't this be standard conditions in the contract Tesla and Lotus surely have signed. Non-compete clauses are pretty normal aren't they ?

Cobos

12. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Batteries and a generator? Yawn. I guess I'm an EV purist :cool: Hybrids have their uses but the beauty of an EV is doing away with all that ICE nonsense.

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Keep in mind that a fair amount of time has elapsed since Tesla started their relationship with Lotus. Tesla had originally planned to be further along with Roadster and "Model 2" production by now, so letting it end in 2009 might have seemed safer back then. I think Martin mentioned that his non-compete was set to be over now as well. It is possible that any such Lotus agreement might be over by now. (Just speculating though).

14. graham

graham Active Member

Yes, and lugging around an unused generator half the time, and a dead battery the other half of the time seems against the "add lightness" mantra there.

15. graham

graham Active Member

This was my thought too. The Roadster and the Sedan were supposed to be much farther along by now when the contracts were first drawn up. It has been well documented that other deadlines from those first negotiations were missed (and not by a little). I would suspect if there were any non-compete clauses that they will have expired by the time the new Lotus emerges.

16. Joseph

Joseph Member

"Yes, and lugging around an unused generator half the time, and a dead battery the other half of the time seems against the "add lightness" mantra there."

Really! What is Lotus thinking?!? If they're going to make an EV, it better be a pure EV, simply not to dilute their whole image.

And quite frankly, EVs are going to be much heavier than ICEs for a while, so even a pure EV would be contrary to Lotus' whole mission.

17. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Mmmmmm interesting

Could Lotus hire Martin?

Just speculating also :biggrin:

18. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

They are when the two parties are fairly equal in size or stature, but I've seen many a situation where the supplier or another company in the supplier's group is effectively competing with one of their retail customers.

Again speculation - but remember this was signed when Tesla was a very small operation and I would be very surprised if Lotus would agree to be limited in producing any EV of their own or indeed that Tesla would be in a position (with regards to having a choice of suppliers) to demand this. Perhaps the scope of any such clause would be very specific in nature.

Of course there are people here who know all this and I could be talking rubbish :wink:

Putting my crazy cap on for a minute - what if the gen set used a micro gas turbine? That would be quite 'Lotus'.

I remember a friend of mine working at Rolls-Royce said a modern turbine would be virtually silent in this application and one of around 1000bhp could easily be put in a car. So one of lower power might leave enough spare space and mass to accommodate a decent battery.

19. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator