TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Loud alarm and big red oblong behind car -was I almost rear ended?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by sceptic, Aug 19, 2019.

1. sceptic

sceptic Member

Stopped when I hear a loud alarm sound - a big red boxy thing flashes on the screen behind my car. Lasts a second or two then just stops. I have no idea what it was - wondered if someone coming up behind me triggered this. Help

2. ckoval7

ckoval7 Mild One

What did your rear view mirror tell you?

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Could you have had your foot on the accelerator while getting close to a car in front of you?

The loud beep is usually a wake up, I see something is about to happen. Could have also been simply crossing a yellow or right line.

4. T3M3T

T3M3T Member

I have heard when you are backing out and another car crossing by then it happens.

5. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

My wife was driving Saturday and received a warning, saw a red flash behind her vehicle on the display and looked up to see a vehicle approaching at very high speed being chased by police. I reviewed her dash cam footage and you can see the vehicle approaching and swerving before she notices and moves over. There’s no way it was close enough to trigger ultrasonics, but I wonder if this is the start of code to recognize high speed overtaking vehicles.

6. sceptic

sceptic Member

I looked and there was a big car stopped behind me - couldn't tell if it was exceptionally close

Yes it was definitely a wake up - just not clear to what. I was totally stopped and it happened after I'd been stopped for a while so that's why I thought it might be a car coming up to stop behind me (which I normally wouldn't notice)
    Again not backing up - in the left lane of two stopped lanes waiting for a light.