Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud bang from the rear while turning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I found that the upper bolt on the link was pretty darn loose. I took the link off. How does it look?

The bushings on the link dont look bad but 100% if that link was loose it will make your car veer like it was. From the picture it looks like the bolt was darn near falling out by the imprint of the threads on the inner part of the bushing sleeve. I would suggest to look at your
SUSP TOE LINK ASSY, looking at the pic the innner bushing doesnt look too fresh

If this was happening to my car I would start by putting the link back in and ensuring its tight. Check other side for same issue, then test drive. If issue goes away I would then jack the car back up and check all other bolts to see if anything is loose. Note - I wouldnt check all the suspension bolts at first as you might tighten something and not find the root cause. doing it step by step will allow you some peace of mind when you do find the issue. Not leaving you thinking is it fixed...????

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
Thanks again for the replies.

1. I checked everything for play and found nothing to be concerning. Checked with the suspension supported and hanging. Wedged a flat head screw driver (big one) and put quite some force and found no significant play or movement.

2. I reinstalled the integral link and torqued it properly. No noticable play here either.

3. I mounted the tire and put all my weight (in tow mode) trying to get it to move without sucess. Nothing sticks out when spinning the wheel either.

4. Did a test drive and I went through so many different types of noises. Tons of clunking, wheel locking, axle clicking, axle grinding and sawmill noises. I was sure I had broken off the rear axle at one point.

I'm at a loss of words. This sucks so bad. I'm really wondering if this is suspension related. I still think this has something to do with the axle, cv joints, half shafts or drive unit.

f.u.c.k

1. I checked everything for play and found nothing to be concerning. Checked with the suspension supported and hanging. Wedged a flat head screw driver (big one) and put quite some force and found no significant play or movement.

2. I reinstalled the integral link and torqued it properly. No noticable play here either.

3. I mounted the tire and put all my weight (in tow mode) trying to get it to move without sucess. Nothing sticks out when spinning the wheel either.

4. Did a test drive and I went through so many different types of noises. Tons of clunking, wheel locking, axle clicking, axle grinding and sawmill noises. I was sure I had broken off the rear axle at one point.

I'm at a loss of words. This sucks so bad. I'm really wondering if this is suspension related. I still think this has something to do with the axle, cv joints, half shafts or drive unit.

f.u.c.k

Can you put the car back on jack stands and put in neutral with tow mode enabled. This will allow you to spin your rear wheels. check if you can rotate your wheel slightly Like from 12 to 1 o'clock and watch the axle should spin with no play with the outer CV joint - Axle shaft - inner CV joint. check both sides if you have play then broken axle. make sure the inner CV joints are seated all the way in the drive unit as well.

f.u.c.k

spline gears gone bad perhaps? would need to take the cv joint off at the motor housing and look. thats about where you're at in terms of troubleshooting in my opinion

Can you put the car back on jack stands and put in neutral with tow mode enabled. This will allow you to spin your rear wheels. check if you can rotate your wheel slightly Like from 12 to 1 o'clock and watch the axle should spin with no play with the outer CV joint - Axle shaft - inner CV joint. check both sides if you have play then broken axle. make sure the inner CV joints are seated all the way in the drive unit as well.

Will absolutely carry out this exact test. Thanks again. Can't do it until Friday at earliest though.

Other thought: might be the differential. That could lock the rear wheels together and result in understeer.
If you already tried tow mode, that could explain why the wheel wouldn't turn (other side still on the ground).
Something that getting both rear wheels jacked up would help determine.

f.u.c.k

Drive unit is possible. I see a lot of what appears to be gear oil on the boots and related parts.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
Hello again all,

The axle nut looks like this. All looks fine.

Will be doing the wheel spin test now. Video coming.

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_215252.jpg
    IMG_20200619_215252.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 67
Alrighty, so, I don't know if this is normal?

When turning the wheel, it looks like the wheel bearing, cv joint and axle turns perfectly with the wheel. However, when you get to the second boot (rubber protection towards the DU) it gets a little iffy. It seems to me like there is some play there. Like I can turn the wheel and it takes a little bit more turning before the DU turns. Like there is a delay/play when turning the axle.

Please see my video for a better understanding.

Alrighty, so, I don't know if this is normal?

When turning the wheel, it looks like the wheel bearing, cv joint and axle turns perfectly with the wheel. However, when you get to the second boot (rubber protection towards the DU) it gets a little iffy. It seems to me like there is some play there. Like I can turn the wheel and it takes a little bit more turning before the DU turns. Like there is a delay/play when turning the axle.

Please see my video for a better understanding.

Was the other wheel on the ground or in the air?

The jerkiness at 0:45 is the thing I notice, seems like a drive unit problem.