Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud bang from the rear while turning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other wheel was on the ground.

Should I try to replace the axel which is arriving next week or should I just leave it be and get it to Tesla to not tinker with anything myself?

I'd take it to them first. Pretty sure pulling the axel will dump all the gear oil.

Assuming it wasn't the outer CV being funky, and the inner is fairly straight, any variation in turning resistance after you removed the inital slop is differential damage.

Reactions: aerodyne
Alrighty, so, I don't know if this is normal?

When turning the wheel, it looks like the wheel bearing, cv joint and axle turns perfectly with the wheel. However, when you get to the second boot (rubber protection towards the DU) it gets a little iffy. It seems to me like there is some play there. Like I can turn the wheel and it takes a little bit more turning before the DU turns. Like there is a delay/play when turning the axle.

Please see my video for a better understanding.

Ouch!, As others said and what you said most defiantly take it to Tesla Service Center. Still under warranty and looks like you will most likely be getting a new Drive Unit. Hopefully the wait is not long for delivery. I had to have my front Drive unit swapped and it was about 2 month wait. good luck and please keep us updated on the result as it will help others in the future that may incur a similar issue.

Reactions: aerodyne
Ouch!, As others said and what you said most defiantly take it to Tesla Service Center. Still under warranty and looks like you will most likely be getting a new Drive Unit. Hopefully the wait is not long for delivery. I had to have my front Drive unit swapped and it was about 2 month wait. good luck and please keep us updated on the result as it will help others in the future that may incur a similar issue.
Praying I can have it fixed pretty quickly. There shouldn't really be a wait. Just hoping they have the parts in stock.