Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud buzzing/gargling sound when charging

I've just pluggged the car in to my wall connector for the first time in a couple of weeks to charge it. It's at 55%, it's about 50 degrees outside. It's says it's charging at 48A, but it immediately strarted making this noise from the rear portion of the car. It's a little louder underneath. Any ideas? Something stuck in a cooling fan? Currently trying to sell this so the last thing I want to do is have to wait for the SC to fix something :/. Vid posted here

Just out of curiosity, did you listen to the video? I've had the car 3 years and not heard that before, tho granted i usually have scheduled charging on, so it charges at midnight.
Sure I did, and I immediately recognized the same warming up sound I heard when I charged my Y a few weeks ago in cold temp.

When the battery pack is cold and you start charging, it always makes the same mosquito-like buzzing sound you heard. I guess you're not sitting right next to your car at midnight when scheduled charging starts so it's possible this was the first time you ear-witnessed this (scary) sound, even in three years!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC