Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud buzzing/gargling sound when charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just pluggged the car in to my wall connector for the first time in a couple of weeks to charge it. It's at 55%, it's about 50 degrees outside. It's says it's charging at 48A, but it immediately strarted making this noise from the rear portion of the car. It's a little louder underneath. Any ideas? Something stuck in a cooling fan? Currently trying to sell this so the last thing I want to do is have to wait for the SC to fix something :/. Vid posted here

Just out of curiosity, did you listen to the video? I've had the car 3 years and not heard that before, tho granted i usually have scheduled charging on, so it charges at midnight.
Sure I did, and I immediately recognized the same warming up sound I heard when I charged my Y a few weeks ago in cold temp.

When the battery pack is cold and you start charging, it always makes the same mosquito-like buzzing sound you heard. I guess you're not sitting right next to your car at midnight when scheduled charging starts so it's possible this was the first time you ear-witnessed this (scary) sound, even in three years!

I've gotten similar sounds out of my 2018 M3 in the same area (rear, underneath vehicle) especially when charging at home after a cold soak. You can always drive close to your nearest service center, put the vehicle into Service Mode, and see if there are any alerts present.

I have the same issue. 2023 Model Y. Just picked it up new yesterday. Plugged it in when I got home today and heard the same noise. Sat in 30 degree weather all day at work, came home to charge, app stated car was heating the battery. Very loud. Back side of car near charge port. I’m pretty concerned.

Did you confirm that with a SC? I picked up my 3 on Saturday, drove it ~2 hours home, plugged it in immediately and heard the exact same thing. I doubt the battery was cold after a 2 hour interstate drive. I'm used to the normal pump noises from having had a 2015 S and a new Y, this sounds significantly different.
No... or maybe yes. I honestly don't remember. This was some time ago.