Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud buzzing in the rear that's even louder outside when driving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had a Model Y Standard Range back in early 2021 that definitely did not have this sound. Now I have a Model Y LR but it is making this very annoying buzzing electrical sound and found out today when I rolled the windows down, its even louder outside. It does not sound like the pedestrian sound. It's still present over 40 mph but very high pitch so most don't hear it.

Here is a video of the sound (ignore the giant bangs at the end of the video. Those are the kids car seat bouncing around. Be sure to turn on sound.

Also above 65 mph the thing shakes like crazy. Should I take it to a tire center or a Tesla SC?

I have a 2020 LRMY. The noise seems normal. Your SR MY did not have a front drive unit. Perhaps the additional noise is coming from the front motor/electronics.

Regarding the vibration at speeds above 65 MPH you should have the following checked:

Tire balance, also have the tires checked for being out of round (tire belts sometimes shift ruining the symmetry of the tire although not typical of a new tire.)

Sometimes the tire noise treatment foam liner inside the tire is not properly glued down and it will shift, affect the tire balance. This is a manufacturing defect.

Have Tesla or other tire center, check and perform an alignment if needed.

Take it in. That is not a normal sound. coincidentally yesterday I saw a model s drive down my street which was making that same sound. It was so loud I had to see what type of old clunker was making that sound. Lol. I have seen another model s make that sound too. The sound is not normal for model s or model y.

I have a 2020 LRMY. The noise seems normal. Your SR MY did not have a front drive unit. Perhaps the additional noise is coming from the front motor/electronics.

Regarding the vibration at speeds above 65 MPH you should have the following checked:

Tire balance, also have the tires checked for being out of round (tire belts sometimes shift ruining the symmetry of the tire although not typical of a new tire.)

Sometimes the tire noise treatment foam liner inside the tire is not properly glued down and it will shift, affect the tire balance. This is a manufacturing defect.

Have Tesla or other tire center, check and perform an alignment if needed.
Its 100% from the rear and right side. Dropped kid off at school and saw two other Ys, neither had this sound coming from it. Did get a comment that my car sounded really loud from another parent.

I figure since the service center is seeing the car for the noise they might as well check out the shaking too.

Got a bit better video of the noise.