Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LOUD Buzzing Noise - 2014 P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi -

Was hoping for advice or to hear if anyone else had a similar problem - I entered a service request previously and the person texting me stated the noise was "normal" and said it sounded like an AC unit or the car was on. They scanned the car and said nothing abnormal was going on.

It is still happening - usually when the battery is near full charge.
Last night, I had a hard time sleeping and around 4AM was walking around the house and could hear it buzzing in the garage through the door. The sound is most noticeable near the front wheel wells.

We also have a Model 3 SR+ and it does this noise too, but it is about 10-15% the volume.

Anyone else hear this noise? Is it just a normal noise?

Here is the link to the noise:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=RzJ6U2tjTnlBNk5SOHdlNHNxUUNlbVRIQ0Z4bjdn

Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

The battery coolant pump on your car is running for extended periods to keep your 85 kwh battery from spontaneously catching fire.

Your car is affected by what is commonly referred to here as “batterygate”. You likely also have noticed a fair amount of range loss and slow supercharging speeds recently too, yes?

Last edited:
Reactions: Majerus
Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

The battery coolant pump on your car is running for extended periods to keep your 85 kwh battery from spontaneously catching fire.

Your car is affected by what is commonly referred to here as “batterygate”. You likely also have noticed a fair amount of range loss and slow supercharging speeds recently too, yes?

I rarely supercharge honestly, so I can't comment on this.
The range quite honestly seems about normal. there is some phantom drain when charged to full, but other than that no.

I rarely supercharge honestly, so I can't comment on this.
The range quite honestly seems about normal. there is some phantom drain when charged to full, but other than that no.
Guess that’s good.

Read the thread I linked to above, this is a change related to recent software updates. The pump only seems to kick in above 80% SoC. The “phantom drain when charged to full” you’re noticing is very likely due to the pump itself. It uses a decent amount of energy.

Guess that’s good.

Read the thread I linked to above, this is a change related to recent software updates. The pump only seems to kick in above 80% SoC. The “phantom drain when charged to full” you’re noticing is very likely due to the pump itself. It uses a decent amount of energy.

Yes I am currently reading it now and yes I do think it is related to the 90% state of charge and the pump running. I charge at work 1-2 days a week and I hear it when i get home, and usually for a few hours after (until I stop noticing it or go to bed if I worked evenings).

I did actually supercharge a few days ago just because I happened to be by one, and it was at 250 miles/hr and the car was at about 170 miles (so not empty) seemed "normal" speed to me. But before that I havent supercharged in months.

I have a similar build, and I noticed after an update had the same sound. I think its a fan
have you reached out to Tesla about it ever? I have an appointment for a different issue next week, and mentioned this.I have sent 3 different videos and times for them to review and they have not responded since Wednesday. I saw another thread where someone had a cooling pump replaced.

My 8 year battery warranty obviously runs out in the next 18 months so I want to make sure i get everything taken care of before then.

have you reached out to Tesla about it ever? I have an appointment for a different issue next week, and mentioned this.I have sent 3 different videos and times for them to review and they have not responded since Wednesday. I saw another thread where someone had a cooling pump replaced.

My 8 year battery warranty obviously runs out in the next 18 months so I want to make sure i get everything taken care of before then.
I am in the same boat... Tesla told me as they almost always tell me it's working as designed. Good luck let us know if they say anything about it

Your pump is definitely louder than most, which may indicate it’s gonna fail at some point, but it won’t be covered under the battery warranty.

It's hard to get an idea of how loud it is, but it sounds like mine. Mine is very clearly on when I walk into my garage. It is annoying so I only charge to 75% these days since I am not commuting, and that seems to do the trick for it staying off. Else, I charged to 90% with scheduled departure so the battery rarely sat at 90% for more than half an hour or so.

Reactions: aerodyne
Yours isn’t any louder than mine. I notice mine after long driving. Like if I’ve driven on a road trip 300+ miles and now she’s parked at home in the garage. I notice it at supers. I notice it at close to 100% soc AND when I have insane engaged and am using it for runs. otherwise it randomly kicks on.

thankfully I haven’t lost any range nor super charging speeds.

Yours isn’t any louder than mine. I notice mine after long driving. Like if I’ve driven on a road trip 300+ miles and now she’s parked at home in the garage. I notice it at supers. I notice it at close to 100% soc AND when I have insane engaged and am using it for runs. otherwise it randomly kicks on.

thankfully I haven’t lost any range nor super charging speeds.

That's good to know. Makes me feel a but better that it is 'normal'.