Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LOUD Buzzing Noise - 2014 P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your pump is definitely louder than most, which may indicate it’s gonna fail at some point, but it won’t be covered under the battery warranty.

So the car is currently making the noise very loudly right now. Its 75°, the car has 85 miles, and it hasnt been driven in over 8 hours. I sent them a other communication. That seems outside of the normal 'high state of charge

No offense op. You stated. Your car supers at a normal level and haven’t lost any range. And yet you’re asking to sue because the cooling fan is loud? Seriously?

Not gonna fight with a random internet stranger, but yes, seriously.

1. I said I have not noticed and it seems normal because I supercharge rarely so I dont have a great feel for 'normal speeds'
2. My range is drained by phantom drain when I charge to 90% as the car sits and isnt driven immediately. That's range loss.
3. Known issues with a specific battery type will lower resale.

So yes, seriously, I'm asking.

I have the exact same issue with my car, and the buzzing noise is really similar. It actually started out more high pitch about a year ago, then has evolved into something similar to yours.
I realize that the underlying cause of the coolant running has to do with the Tesla update and "batterygate", but is everyone sure the "Buzzing" is from the coolant motor? I have seen in a couple other areas on this site that it is actually a bad condenser. Thoughts?

While it sucks the coolant needs to run a lot more, I would rather stay on top of it and replace anything that is about to fail before it actually does fail. Any help would be appreciated

A condenser is used in refrigeration systems. I don't think the MS employs an inline chiller to lower the temperature of the coolant below ambient. They just have a radiator with pumps and fans.

I lose a little more than 6 miles of range each day due to the systems staying online. My coolant pumps don't run as I am not often above 75%.

You should get an OBD2 bluetooth adapter, cable, and ScanMyTesla to see if the coolant pumps are actually running at that low SoC. You may find other info about your car as well. Perhaps a module is out of balance.

Bought my 11/2016 MS 75D In August 2020. The same buzzing when awake has always been there since I got the car. Only stops when the car sleeps.
I work in power plants, and to me this sound is the same sound a hydraulic pump makes, so I assume that there is cooling pump running all the time (when awake)
I am attaching an audio file I made in the frint RH side wheel well while I wake the car up by opening the app.
The buzzing in the last ~10s of the clip continues anytime the car is awake.
After a few months of owning the I had a loaner, a 2018 MS 100D and it did not make the same loud buzzing.
So when I took the car in for FSD upgrade I pointed out and they ran cooling system tests, told me everything is running as it should and there are no issues.

However the vampire drain when the car is awake is quite large and I can tell a big difference in the warmer months vs cooler months (I'm in FL)
Range loss in the summer time, when temperatures are in the 90s daily, is 5-10% /day. 10-20 miles a day.
Basically it will be 3-5% loss from when I get to work to when I leave, and when I'm out of town and can't charge overnight, it will be another 3-5% loss from evening to morning. Since I've had the car over a year I have noticved that in the cooler months (november-april) vampire losses are minimal, so I definitely attribute it to the car staying awake longer in the summer to run this coolant pump.

Unrelated to this thread, but I have the front RH speaker making a buzzing soundm, and the pitch of that sound matches the coolant pump sound.
So far 2 different service centers can't identify the speaker buzzing issue because it is intermittent... I almost believe that there is a grounding issue with this coolant pump, but that's my opinion... I have attach a video of the sound from the front RH side wheel well to the speaker.

Buzzing

Wake up sounds and buzzing

external buzz to speaker

However the vampire drain when the car is awake is quite large and I can tell a big difference in the warmer months vs cooler months (I'm in FL)
Range loss in the summer time, when temperatures are in the 90s daily, is 5-10% /day. 10-20 miles a day.
Basically it will be 3-5% loss from when I get to work to when I leave, and when I'm out of town and can't charge overnight, it will be another 3-5% loss from evening to morning.
Asking the obvious questions first - do you have cabin overheat protection, sentry mode, or summon standby enabled?

Asking the obvious questions first - do you have cabin overheat protection, sentry mode, or summon standby enabled?
Nope. That's with all of the above disabled (no cabin overheat protection, summon standby off, sentry off)

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I have carefully observed the behaviour, and the car will take a lot longer to go to sleep on warmer days, (that pumps that buzzes keeps on running and running) and no, it's not the AC fans I hear, it's a faint buzzing that can only be heard in a quiet garage.

The AC compressor and fans are much louder and can easily be heard out on the street, unlike the buzzing.

Reactions: ucmndd
It’s definitely the coolant pump as you suspect based on the sound and location.

Interesting behavior for sure… yours is the first 75 battery I’m aware of. My Dec ‘16 75 does no such thing. Definitely not “normal” from my perspective.

It’s definitely the coolant pump as you suspect based on the sound and location.

Interesting behavior for sure… yours is the first 75 battery I’m aware of. My Dec ‘16 75 does no such thing. Definitely not “normal” from my perspective.
Did you listen to the "Wake up sounds and buzzing" audio clip I posted above? Does your Dec 16 model not do that when waking up?

I've brought it up to a service appointment I had and this is what I got:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 49
Did you listen to the "Wake up sounds and buzzing" audio clip I posted above? Does your Dec 16 model not do that when waking up?
My car makes similar noise when charging or first waking up when I open the door or activate climate control, but my pump is nowhere near that loud. It rarely if ever is running when the car is just sitting there parked.

Do you use Teslafi or some other third party services that might be keeping the car from sleeping?

My car makes similar noise when charging or first waking up when I open the door or activate climate control, but my pump is nowhere near that loud. It rarely if ever is running when the car is just sitting there parked.

Do you use Teslafi or some other third party services that might be keeping the car from sleeping?
No, I don't use Teslafi or any other app... my car does go to sleep, everything shuts off and gets quiet; right now with the weather in the 70s she goes to sleep fairly quickly after I park in the garage, and vampire losses are negligible.
But in the summer she takes a lot longer to go to sleep after a drive, sometimes keeps on buzzing for hours after I park.