Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud buzzing noise coming from under passenger side while Model 3 sitting still in drive (but not while in park)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While sitting in drive, there is a loud buzzing noise coming from under the front passenger side. The sound goes away when I put the car in park. Is this normal? I know there are cooling fans but this sounds very loud, almost like a grinding sound.

Here is a link to a video of this sound: IMG_4170.MOV

Thanks!

I believe that's the Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) forward sound. Yes it's like quiet white noise. Takes a quiet garage like you have there, or very quiet night, to hear it.

I'm basing that on another video I watched once demonstrating the Model 3 PWS noise. I actually haven't noticed it on my car but I assume mine makes it too, and I just haven't stood next to the car with it in Drive in a quiet enough situation to tell. (Yes mine is new enough to have PWS, it's a 2021 that makes annoying backup sound.)

I hate PWS noise pollution, so I'm glad Tesla managed to make this noise as innocuous as possible.

Upvote 0