TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

LOUD buzzing noise from front of new 75D

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jimmyz80, Aug 29, 2017.

1. jimmyz80

jimmyz80 Member

My S75D is about four months old now and just has a few thousand miles on it. Tonight it made a very loud buzzing noise from the front end while parked, that I've never heard before. This was after the car had been parked for hours in a cool ~70F garage, and then was briefly woken up by me opening a door. Anyone else ever heard this, or know what it could be?

IMG 4356

2. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

I think it is the fan near the left front wheels. I had mine replaced plus the AC compressor.

This was the noise I had when I turn on the AC.

3. jjh1234

jjh1234 Member

Mine has always made that buzzing noise in my garage when I open the door and it wakes up and the A/C kicks in on high. If you have the A/C set on 70 and the temp is 75, it is trying to drop that 5 degrees as fast as it can. As an experiment, try raising the setting on your A/C to 75 and see if the noise goes away or at least lessens greatly.

4. jimmyz80

jimmyz80 Member

It'd be weird if it was the A/C system, since I never heard this all though the summer months of 90s and 100s in the garage. It only now started doing it, and it's much cooler out there. Odd...

5. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Sounds a bit like what my LEAF does occasionally:

Researching online led me to believe it was coming from the power steering pump.

6. jimmyz80

jimmyz80 Member

There is no power steering pump in a LEAF, nor is there in a Tesla. :p I've owned a couple of LEAFs and I'm pretty sure the noise you're referring to is the coolant pump for the inverter/charger.

7. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Yes, coolant pump/compressor whathaveyou. No idea why I wrote power steering pump...chalk that up to the headache I'm fighting.

8. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

That sounds exactly like the air compressor for the air suspension. It'll run for a few minutes once in a while and when it stops you should hear a small release of air

• Like x 1