Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

loud buzzing while supercharging, then white smoke in the cabin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The location is a bit interesting, no charging circuitry in that area, mainly control and accessory, with vents leading to cooling. Are you certain the smell was electrical rather than coolant? a coolant leak and evaporation could smell similar (though I'd describe it as a little more "sweet" smelling than burning electronics) it's also one of the few things I can think of that would generate any large volume of smoke without anything stopping working.

Now don't take this next idea the wrong way, did you do the wiring modifications yourself? or did you have someone else do them? If you are the kind to do this sort of work yourself, (as I am) then I'd recommend what I would be doing which is going over every inch of each of those wires to look for damage.
Note: I'm not blaming your wiring, I just know that this is something you can do yourself without needing Tesla to do anything.
If smoke actually came out in a quantity that you were able to video and that "filled the cabin" then there is going to be visible damage to some component (finding it is the challenge) I'd be poking around where I thought the smoke came from, and especially double checking every component and wire that I added.

Seems odd that they couldn't find anything, that quantity of smoke should leave a noticeable scar somewhere.

hey OP, keep us posted, we're interested to see what's the resolution to this potentially dangerous issue

I see no "hypocrisy" and no defensiveness. I see adults calmly asking for the fullest possible set of facts from the OP, facts which were not initially provided, including no photos and an incomplete description of the multiple modifications made to the car.

No one is rushing to judgement, just suggesting possible explanations for the problem. Of course only the OP and Tesla have actually examined the vehicle. Everyone else is speculating.

....right.

to some of you guys: sometimes, it's a good idea to take a break from the internet. im a tesla fan like any other but.... take a breather, and dont get too emotional about a car company. let's help each other out, we're all equal customers in the end.

At this point, all I can do is plan to not leave anything of value in the car when I supercharge, and if I am there next time, I will let the smoke keep going until something melts or ignites.

I hope I never end up beside you while supercharging and I feel sorry for those who do. You must know that's not a wise idea and is a danger to the property and lives of others. It may even be considered criminal negligence.

This is also aside from the fact that the intentional failure to mitigate your damages is not covered by warranty or insurance.

This is also aside from the fact that the intentional failure to mitigate your damages is not covered by warranty or insurance.

Damage from fire even if it results from owner negligence is covered by the "fire" warranty that was introduced after the series of incidences. Although I agree that letting a car burn to the ground while others are charging in the vicinity is hardly a good idea.

Bonnie and others

the sub is in the back corner, not under the dash as someone said. It has a 15 amp fuse.

the power to the woofer is fused at 10 amps through the 15 amp auxiliary port

speaker wires connect in either kick panel.

stereo was off at time of smoke, it still works fine, and no fuses blew

a 2nd mod is a wire connected to each side yellow flasher, the rear brake bar and the left tail light - for trailer lights. These four wires are protected by a commercial isolation circuit that pulls its own power for trailer lights. This 12 v power is the same as the woofer and can only be used when not "woofing". This was not powered when supercharge smoke occurred.

anyone who has done car stereo knows that all this wiring is on the 12 v side, and I double fused in series. i know better than to go anywhere near the high powered side. I have rebuilt 3 EVs.

To be complete, other mods are a decal on the rear bumper that says "all electric", I attached my license plate with suction cups and J hooks, I have a cell repeater plugged into the auxiliary with an antenna on the roof, I plug my iPhone into 5v auxiliary. I have an eco hitch attached. I was not pulling a trailer at the time of smoke.

I specifically did NOT run a power wire to the fuse box as Crutchfield recommended and others have done. I did not want to exceed 10 amps to the woofer.

I measured 3 amps draw by the woofer to be sure I was not close to limit. The repeater is rated at 1 amp. My iPhone is less than 1
amp.

No. This was not outside smoke.

No. This was not steam. It was electrical burn smell.

And Tesla did imply that my wiring could somehow be involved. They suggested no more changes.

Any other questions?

All this being on the 12v size and properly fused I can't imagine that with these kinds of mods supercharging would trigger the kind of events described.

I know there are some people who are scared to death of making any modifications of this kind to their cars but as I have years of experience with these things I can't imagine that they would cause the phenomenon described.

Clearly what happened is related to the supercharger wiring and/or battery. Frankly, if I were mudfud, I'd supercharge as many times as possible to see if I could replicate the event and record everything for Tesla.

Last time I supercharged, a week ago, there was a very loud buzz coming from the cooling system. Hadn't noticed it before and will be taking the car into the service centre to get it checked out.

It was cold + raining outside and I noticed the rainwater was evaporating off the trunk. Obviously this happens with an ICE, because the engine bay is hot, but I was surprised to see it in the MS. This was after a 2hr drive on the freeway, so the car was fully warmed up, still, I would not have expected the trunk area to be that warm. Still, this was not smoke and it was not entering the cabin.

Coincidental to this thread, on my drive down from Napa to Tucson, I noticed for the first time a loud hum during the supercharge. I contacted Tesla and they said it was likely the cooling system cycling on during the charge process. I've never experienced this before, and have 35k miles and many supercharger sessions over the past 2 years. They were able to log into the car during the last of these sessions and could see nothing of interest. They promised to "pull the detailed logs" to research further and get back to me.

My concern is that this battery is the one they "fixed" after a contactor crash. Never had this humming before then. Also, the loarner battery they installed while they repaired my "A" battery did not have the humming during the many supercharger sessions I had with it. Don't believe in coincidences. I plan on pushing TM on this. Nicely, of course.:smile:

Buzzing during supercharing is absolutely normal. It really depends on how hot it is outside as well as what SOC you start at. If you start at a higher SOC, you'll probably never pull enough current to get to the point where it needs to really ramp up the fans. I've noticed it pretty consistently when supercharging from a low SOC - like below 30 or 40 miles of rated range left. The buzzing doesn't start until you get to around 100 miles or so and it slowly ramps up - it's not sudden.

Last time I supercharged, a week ago, there was a very loud buzz coming from the cooling system.

That's likely your A/C compressor at full tilt. The scroll compressors Tesla uses are rather loud. There is a service bulletin to install a sound insulating "blanket" and extra clamp over the compressor to help quiet it down. You can ask your service center if your car has that already or might benefit from a retrofit.

All this being on the 12v size and properly fused I can't imagine that with these kinds of mods supercharging would trigger the kind of events described.
That depends, while supercharging the high voltage system is running higher voltage than normal, a fault in the dc-dc converter could easily cause a higher than normal (or simply less stable) voltage on the 12v side at the same time due to this, which could then fry 12v electronics.

Another data point on the noise side, I've had extremely loud noises supercharging in the heat with a hot car. I've even had fans kick up in cooler weather, complete normal while supercharging.

I have however never had smoke, and I'd be worried about that as well.

Could it be that indeed the air conditioner kicked in at 100% due to the supercharging, and at the same time the electric heater turned on to heat up the interior of the car that was going below the set point? I can imagine some smell from the electric heater combined with vapor from the water condensing on the cold condenser?

hi guys.

after having 2 service centers inspect and find nothing wrong, I plan to let whatever it is melt next time so they can find the problem.

it did smell like electrical melting, and tesla looked at the video and saw the smoke. I looked around, however, and I think the smoke came into the cabin b/c the fan was on, so it doesn't help localize the problem.

it took 5K miles to have the problem, so I'll just keep driving and hope that it doesn't happen again. I will post if anything new happens. in the meantime, my sub and now new speakers are working great. I should have a trailer to light up, too, by the end of april for the south dakota gathering. hope to see some of you there.