Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud BZZZZ sound scared the hell out of me...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving along the highway around 65mph with music from the radio and then I heard this continuous loud BZZZZZZ noise, like a bee buzzing but more bass to the sound.
I thought it sounded like something grinding, like something mechanical rubbing.
I could not tell the source of the noise.
I realized the radio was not on anymore.

I wondered if it was the radio losing the signal from the radio station and what I hear is some kind of static similar to when you are tuning a radio to a station and you land in between stations and you hear that kind of noise.
I increase/decrease the volume, the sound continued but did not increase or decrease.
I attempted to shut the radio off by pressing the left button on the steering wheel but nothing happened, the sound continued. I guess then that the sound was not from the radio.

This went on for about 1-2 minutes. I was thinking, sh*t, I got me a lemon on my hands now!!! What the hell!!
I thought about pulling over because I did not want to continue driving for fear that the noise is coming from the 'engine' or the electrical motor. My exit was coming up so I decided to continue to the exit and I would stop at somewhere convenient after I exited. Suddenly the monitor went black. The noise stopped. The car was still operational, lights were on, gas/throttle & brakes were working. I thought for a second that now the car is gonna be totally immobilized after I come to a stop and park. Thankfully, the monitor showed the Tesla 'T' symbol and I figured it did a reboot. The monitor returned to its normal state and the rest of the drive was uneventful.

I just wanted to share this with y'all in case anyone had experienced something similar.
I'm going to call service and relay this incident to them as an fyi and if they have anything to add I'll do a follow-up.

• Disagree
Reactions: SeaOtter
Probably the sound was coming from the speakers. If the display computer crashes - and it's been known to happen, though never to me - the sound system could be locked up and looping on a segment of sound, until it fully crashed and rebooted. In that scenario, it would not be responding to commands to change volume or stop playing. This has happened to me on desktop computers while playing a media file. No harm in having Service check if there's something loose in the electronics that would cause a crash.

I played around using different colored fonts and found the blue to be clearer...to me...plus to change it...like using blue ink instead of black ink.

I realized from reading this forum that rebooting does occur and it should not be a concern, however, the loud noise preceding the reboot was "kinda frightening" since the car isn't supposed to make any noise...and no one had indicated that happened b4 their reboot.

I played around using different colored fonts and found the blue to be clearer...to me...plus to change it...like using blue ink instead of black ink.

I realized from reading this forum that rebooting does occur and it should not be a concern, however, the loud noise preceding the reboot was "kinda frightening" since the car isn't supposed to make any noise...and no one had indicated that happened b4 their reboot.

It just depends on what's playing over the speakers when the crash happens. I've had some interesting-sounding crashes

I heard that sound before. It's like when Windows crashed back in the day while playing music.