TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Loud Clicking noise when opening or closing the door.

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by uisynot, May 21, 2015.

1. uisynot

uisynot Member

Does anyone experience a loud clicking noise when you first open or close the door? Obviously not talking about the window going up after the door is closed or the door handles. I've attached a video for reference.

[video]https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzqlLTVBCI52ell3SC1kUFFpTTg/edit?usp=drive_web[/video]

Also have a door handle problem but it shows more clicking as well. :eek:

[video]https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzqlLTVBCI52NEZTNUktMmZDcWM/edit?usp=drive_web[/video]

For reference it's a P85 VIN P07065

Any insight or advice appreciated! I've contacted the SC already but is curious if this is happening to all Teslas out there (Of course door handle malfunction is just me :))

2. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

The loud click after opening a door is the contactor - the switch that engages the high voltage battery. It's perfectly normal.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That's a pretty "harsh" sounding click, but it does occur right when you'd expect the HV contactors to operate. Since my contactors were replaced, they give a much more muted sound. The best way I can describe it is as if it were two pieces of wood bumping together as opposed to two pieces of metal (how my original contactors sounded).

4. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Yes, those are definitely the contactors closing / opening.

Like @mknox, I also noticed the sound of my contactors change when they were replaced, although I wouldn't say they're more muted - just different sounding. The contactor closing sound sounds almost identical to the OP's. The opening sound is not quite as loud on mine. Either way, nothing to be concerned with.

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

My car makes a similar sound and from reading around here, I would concur. For me, its a pair of sounds, a click-click. Typically associated with door opening/closing. To me, is sounds like when you used to switch on old radios or other high voltage/high amperage equipment. That "click-on" sound but no subsequent buzz like that old equipment.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Mine don't sound that loud at all. I can barely hear them. That doesn't sound right.

7. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

@OP - Have your contactors been proactively replaced by Tesla? Mine used to sound that way. It's more of a click-clack vs. a clunk-thunk with the new ones as others have mentioned.

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

This is what I am hearing.

The high voltage battery engaging (click-click) and disengaging (click).
    [video]https:[email protected]/17991587385/[/video]

Based on other discussions, sounds normal and to be expected, right?