TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Loud clicking sound while braking- service center states its normal?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by rjdoc74, Apr 15, 2017.

1. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

I was wondering if I could get an opinion from the forum. I picked up my inventory MX 4 weeks ago and since pick up it has been making a distinct clicking sound while braking at low speeds. Happens 90 percent of the time. Loud enough to make pedestrians turn around at intersections. I took it to SC and was told that it's normal for a lower VIN car. Theh said it has something to do with old style bushings. This sound doesn't seen normal to me. I have attached a short video to demonstrate. You will hear 2 distinct clicks with braking if you watch the video. What do you think?

2. MasterT

MasterT Member

Sorry I dont have a suggestion but it does not sound normal. I would ask whoever told you it was normal to provide that in writing

• Like x 1
  3. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

That's what I figured. I am taking it back in 4 weeks to replace a seat, so I will have them look again.

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Supporting Member

Was this a CPO car? If not, it's not "lower VIN". I have a Signature model (definitely lower VIN) and it doesn't click while braking.

• Informative x 1
  5. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Not a CPO. Vin 25xx.

6. puregreddy

puregreddy Member

This is definitely not normal. I have it on my X.

Had to take it to a different service center as the first one kept telling me it was normal. The tech was able to easily reproduce the noise by driving forward then backwards repeatedly in a parking lot. It was pretty evident something was either loose or sticking.

Latest update from the service center is that they are replacing all four brakes (pads and calipers apparently).

I will keep you posted.

7. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Dropped off my car today. 11 items on my list including clicking. Will seen.