Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud clunk when entering "Transport Mode"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to check out "Transport Mode" yesterday. The "Transport Mode" onscreen button is grayed out sitting in the car in park. Stepped on the brake still grayed out. Screen indicated put car in Drive. After doing so, button turned blue. When enabling "Transport Mode", is the loud clunk sound the HV contactors opening? If so, I assume this is for safety while the car is being winched onto a flatbed? I understand the purpose of stepping on the brake because the car could roll away but what is the purpose of putting the car in drive? When you enable the "Car Wash Mode/Allow car to roll" option there is no loud clunk sound.

My guess would be that you put it in Drive to release the parking brakes. When you put it in Transport Mode it keeps brakes released and opens HV contactor for safety reasons.

Car Wash puts the car in Neutral and allows the car to free roll. Car is fully functional in N. When you exit car wash you press brake and put it in Drive. No need to open HV contactor.

Reactions: rrolsbe