TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Loud clunk

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Jackyche, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

I've noticed that after driving in the rain and parking the car in the garage, and driving again the next morning, this happens:

When shifting to reverse, the car doesn't move (no creep). Then pressing on the accelerator pedal lightly, it then moves but with a fairly loud clunk sound. Perfectly fine afterwards.

I mentioned this to Tesla Service and he said its from rust in the brakes??? And its perfectly fine.

Does this happen to anyone else? And does it really sound perfectly fine to you?

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Yup; it happens and it's fine. (Well, it would be better if it didn't happen; but it's not a big deal).

It happens on other cars too, but more on the Roadster because you often use regen instead of the brakes, so they are wet AND cold when you park it - the water doesn't all evaporate off.

3. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Happens on my ICE car if I haven't driven it for a few days and it's been wet. If it's been a couple of weeks, there's a noticeable jarring as well which really freaked me out till I figured out what it was.

4. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Me too...Just drive a few metres slowly with the brake on lightly...that will scrape the rust off...

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

That's the sound of your battery pack falling out.

No, seriously, my Roadster did this all the time. It's just the brake pads getting "unglued" from the rotors. It's much better, though, since I switched to the Carbotech AX6 pads.

6. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

Thanks guys. I feel better now. Although that's a really loud clunk. Figured anything that loud can't be normal. Oh well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. strider

strider Active Member

Yep, perfectly normal w/ high iron rotors and stock pads. As Doug says it's less w/ the Carbotech pads (I'm using the 1521's) but still there.