Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud clunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that after driving in the rain and parking the car in the garage, and driving again the next morning, this happens:

When shifting to reverse, the car doesn't move (no creep). Then pressing on the accelerator pedal lightly, it then moves but with a fairly loud clunk sound. Perfectly fine afterwards.

I mentioned this to Tesla Service and he said its from rust in the brakes??? And its perfectly fine.

Does this happen to anyone else? And does it really sound perfectly fine to you?

Yup; it happens and it's fine. (Well, it would be better if it didn't happen; but it's not a big deal).

It happens on other cars too, but more on the Roadster because you often use regen instead of the brakes, so they are wet AND cold when you park it - the water doesn't all evaporate off.

Me too...Just drive a few metres slowly with the brake on lightly...that will scrape the rust off...

Yup; it happens and it's fine. (Well, it would be better if it didn't happen; but it's not a big deal).

It happens on other cars too, but more on the Roadster because you often use regen instead of the brakes, so they are wet AND cold when you park it - the water doesn't all evaporate off.

That's the sound of your battery pack falling out.

No, seriously, my Roadster did this all the time. It's just the brake pads getting "unglued" from the rotors. It's much better, though, since I switched to the Carbotech AX6 pads.