Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud clunking noise in 2021 Model 3!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When it is really cold (20-25 degrees F), I have twice had a really loud clunking sound from the front of the car. It happens within 10 sec of going in Drive - oddly, it didn't happen when I backed out of the driveway and about 200 feet down the road. I had pre-warmed the car for 5 min (High). This definitely didn't happen on my 2018 Model 3. Anyone else had this loud clunking sound from the front of the car?

Not yet on mine, but can you describe the conditions when it happened? Going straight? Accelerating? If yes, mildly, moderately, or hard? Try to describe it with the most details, in order to determine if somebody else's car has the same issue.

I will check the frunk! The loud clunking happened when I was leaving my house, twice on cold mornings; in Drive and very slow acceleration down the incline of our road. On one occasion, it happened under mild acceleration without the brakes applied (lasted 2-3 seconds and went away) and the other time it happened when applying the brakes or when gently accelerating (2-3 sec each). The first time, it was after a huge freezing rain storm that I thought might have blown water into everything (Nor'easter with 50-60 mph gusts) and then frozen. The second time was a couple weeks later. Plugged in both times before departure, but not actively charging (already at my 75% charge limit), so I'm not sure if this clunk is the same as the sound linked to the expanding of the battery casing (?) as nothing was warmed up in 60 sec or less.

What is strange for me on this is my thump/clunck seems to happen in a similar location as I get about .5 miles from my house. Very strange, it is on incline hill, tapas is smooth, but often happens in a certain area. Not exact spot but general area. Almost like it is GPS based and preparing for charge as I’m driving home. Doesn’t always happen, and may be more often in colder weather, still not sure of the variables here. Seems to only happen once per drive.