Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud Clunking Sound at Cold Startup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Michigan, Model 3, long range, dual motor, 28,000 miles here.

I keep my car in my unheated garage. During cold mornings, I hear a loud "clunk" just as I begin to reverse the car. The sound seems to be coming from underneath the rear of the car - maybe the right rear wheels?

This happens after the car has been re-charging all night and does not happen when it's cold when I leave work in the evening.

Has anyone else experienced this clunking sound and what is the likely cause?

In the very short video below you can hear the noise just as I begin backing up. In this case the sound was not too loud. At other times the noise is really quite loud.

Same thing has been happening to me. It follows ... parking after driving in wet conditions... sitting overnight in unheated garage ... freezing temps outside. Not a technician, but sounded to me like brake pads get stuck/frozen/rusted to rotors and the clunk is then coming unstuck. Had tires rotated yesterday at a local shop and mentioned it to them... they supposedly inspected but didn’t find anything noticeably wrong.

For above documentation, look at "ingineerix" YouTube at 13:30

Thanks. It seems the clunking sound I hear comes from the rear brakes mostly. Sometimes though it seems all four brakes make the noise. Almost like they are unlocking and the sound is very noticeable. Not just when I've been driving in wet weather either. Mostly I hear the noise at start up in the morning.

Thanks for your help.