Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud clunking sound heard, and felt, from the front end when going straight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
22’ Model 3 LR <3000 miles. I’ve tried to find similar issues to mine, and most of the threads I’ve found are about clunks when turning a certain way, or going over bumps. My issue, and its brand new, is when going straight. The clunks are gone when I am making a turn and come right back as soon as the wheels are straight again. They are loud and can be felt in the car and stealing wheel… feels like I have a flat tire, or like something is rubbing against the tire, but I can see nothing in there and all 4 wheels are inflated to the appropriate pressure… It’s really weird. We did go through a touch less car wash about 20 miles prior, but I wouldn’t think that has anything to do with it… Any ideas… I requested a service but who knows when they’ll see it and I need the car for this weekend.

Yeah, it doesn’t feel safe to drive. I’m still waiting for a response to my service request… doubt they’ll be able to help me out before tomorrow when I need to drive around 200 miles total…
Do me a favor and peek under the front of the car. These bolts can loosen right out. This is a photo from one of our customers when we were helping to diagnose the same noise:

1660332416023.png

#2 in this diagram:

1660332472818.png

So… after looking for that part, and that it appears to be bolted correctly, I decided to take off the aero covers… 4 of the 5 lug nuts on the wheel are loose…. Seriously.. almost off the bolts. Insane… time to check all of them… any idea what the toruque spec is on them? I can’t believe how close we were to losing a wheel… my wife drives this daily on the highway around 60 miles a day….

So… I decided to take off the aero covers… 4 of the 5 lug nuts on the wheel are loose…. Seriously.. almost off the bolts. Insane… time to check all of them… any idea what the toruque spec is on them? I can’t believe how close we were to losing a wheel… my wife drives this daily on the highway around 60 miles a day….
That is a lot worse than I thought it would be! The torque spec is 129 lb-ft.

Uhm, undertorqued lugs have been reported in these forums. Mine were undertorqued, but nothing like yours. Your wheels would wobble and should pull one way or the other, when they're that loose. Insane.

So… after looking for that part, and that it appears to be bolted correctly, I decided to take off the aero covers… 4 of the 5 lug nuts on the wheel are loose…. Seriously.. almost off the bolts. Insane… time to check all of them… any idea what the toruque spec is on them? I can’t believe how close we were to losing a wheel… my wife drives this daily on the highway around 60 miles a day….
Oh man that’s scary. Good thing you caught this!

I'm also having a single very loud clunk or pop in the front end - when starting out - in forward or reverse or turning, or when going over a road undulation at slow speed. It almost seems like something broke off or came loose every time it happens. Someone said there's a recall for this in the states? Is that correct? Late 2020 Model 3, 31K miles, stock car, 18" tires.

I have a clunk that comes and goes. The 1st time I put in a service call and then we weren't able to reproduce it. Well it's back again. It's hard to hear on mobile device but you can hear it clear as day on PC. It starts at about 1 minute mark as the first 60 seconds I tried to get it to do it by just going straight back and forth. It only happens when going up and down an incline at an angle.

I have a clunk that comes and goes. The 1st time I put in a service call and then we weren't able to reproduce it. Well it's back again. It's hard to hear on mobile device but you can hear it clear as day on PC. It starts at about 1 minute mark as the first 60 seconds I tried to get it to do it by just going straight back and forth. It only happens when going up and down an incline at an angle.

Made me a bit nauseous, maybe you want to edit that video down a bit and just get a 10sec snippet moving in one direction. At that slow speed, I'd assume something was loose in the suspension.