Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud conch-blowing noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my MSM Model Y on 12/30. This morning when wife is backing out of the garage the car is blowing super loud noise, literally sounds like someone is sitting in the frunk blowing a conch. Seems coming out of the front intake vents. Is it possible this is heat pump related? I am in SoCal, not that cold any way. Noise is gone after picking up speed. I pasted video to youtube, anyone had similar issue?

https://youtu.be/Jtjg4T6749M

This is the first time the pedestrian warning system is compared to a conch blowing. :p
85joc.jpg

That's the pedestrian warning system. It makes that UFO like sound in reverse. I believe it became a requirement on all new cars starting September 2020 (wikipedia). The PWS is active in both forward/reverse under 20mph, although it plays different sounds for each direction.

More info: Tesla adds pedestrian warning system to Model 3 - Electrek

Wow, that's good to know. Was aware of PWS just didn't expect such a loud noise, especially in a closed space like garage. will for sure check out the boombox options. thanks for the info.

I heard this for the first time on an Audi E-Tron. It was earlier this year (before the pandemic shut things down) and we were all sitting outside at a cafe when the car starts to back up. It was SO LOUD, nobody could talk over it, and the person was in reverse for so long and didn't pull out (I guess maybe fiddling with their phone). It is the worst.

Glad I got my car early enough where it doesn't have this.