Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud Creaking Noise When Turning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having/had this problem. I've had my X since the end of April. There are just over 4,000 miles on the car. Over the past few weeks whenever you drive the car slowly such as backing out of the garage or parking spot and turn the wheel hard to the car makes loud creaking/squeaking noises. So much so that bystanders make comments like "that's really loud". I've had much older cars make this type of noise before, but not a brand new car.

I brought the car in to the service center and they said this is typical with Tesla's (both S and X). You don't use the brakes much due to regen when you take your foot off the accelerator a some kind of build up occurs on the brake pads that cause this to happen. I was skeptical about this explanation and the car had been recently driven 100+ miles on the freeway with plenty of braking occurring. I talked to a friend who has had an S for years and they don't have this problem. I'm losing faith in the service center. This is not the first time I've been told something is normal and weeks later I have to tell them how to fix the issue and voila the problem is resolved. So I'm trying to figure out if their explanation to the problem is legit.

I do hear a creaking noise, but I honestly thought it was normal. It doesn't seem super loud to me, and on par with what I'm used to hearing from a car when turning the wheels and not in motion.

Is this a normal noise that is just louder than it should be, or are you saying there should not be a noise at all?

It's the "H" hold... just don't press the breaks so hard to enable H. when H is there and you turn the wheels you get a really loud creaking sound because the H breaks are engaged. I got that problem when dropping off the kids at school. LOL figured it out immediately. It is really embarrassing!

Reactions: NathanWolf