Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud Grinding Noise while steering wheel is turned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The noise is more prevalent in Reverse. You can also hear it in drive when going at a slower speed and turn the wheel sharply.

Posted a video linked below.

I have an appointment setup for Tuesday. Any idea what it could be?

Dumb question - but have you by chance mounted the rear wheels on the front axle by mistake? The rear wheels are larger in both width and height and will touch the wheel well lining and suspension parts if mounted on the front axle.

Check that you have the 265/45-20 wheels in front and 275/45-20 in the rear on both sides.
(If you have 22" wheels, it should be 275/35-22 in front and 285/35-22 in the rear.)

Reactions: VikH
I took mine for this exact issue last week. They charged me $200 to diagnose. This is what they said they did “Cleaned and lubed under the vehicle bash plate. After repair verify no more abnormal when turning left or right.”

the noise was still there so I complained to them and they waived the fee since lubrication isn’t covered under warranty. They said that noise is normal

Dumb question - but have you by chance mounted the rear wheels on the front axle by mistake? The rear wheels are larger in both width and height and will touch the wheel well lining and suspension parts if mounted on the front axle.

Check that you have the 265/45-20 wheels in front and 275/45-20 in the rear on both sides.
(If you have 22" wheels, it should be 275/35-22 in front and 285/35-22 in the rear.)

This is the answer. However, even if the tires are correct, you still may have the wrong wheel size.

I had the same issue when I picked up my car new (tires were correct, but they had the wider wheels on the front). It could only be reproduced when reversing and turning the wheel fully.

Reactions: Stin121
Reporting back. When tires were rotated, rears moved to the front and front to the rears. It didn't even cross my mind that the wheels were staggered! Took it over to Tesla, they noticed it immediately, put the wheels back in the right side, and noise is gone. I don't know why I assumed the wheels and tires were the same size on all four corners.

Note: The note was coming from the front wheels rubbing on the knuckle.

Reactions: sjokomelk
Reporting back. When tires were rotated, rears moved to the front and front to the rears. It didn't even cross my mind that the wheels were staggered! Took it over to Tesla, they noticed it immediately, put the wheels back in the right side, and noise is gone. I don't know why I assumed the wheels and tires were the same size on all four corners.

Note: The note was coming from the front wheels rubbing on the knuckle.

yep! Gotta remember the different size wheels. IIRC, the winter wheel setup that Tesla sells on their website does offer a square wheel setup, so the winter tires can be evenly rotated around.

however, if you are using the stock all seasons, both the tires and wheels are staggered; and the wider wheels and tires must remain in the rear & cannot be rotated.

Last edited:
Okay just throwing my 2-cents in. I just encountered this issue after getting new tires. When I would reverse with tire’s fully turned there would be a grinding.

So I know the tires are different sizes, and those were correct, but what I didn’t know is that the rims are 1/2” different from the front to rear. So I measured all four rims and noticed that a larger rim was on the front.

I took the car back to my tire place and they insisted the rims were all the same. But to shut me up the switched the two that I asked them to switch, and the noise is now gone.

So if a rear rim gets put on the front, even if it’s the correct tire, it will still rub.

If you are having this issue measure the rims. The rears have an additional 1/2” offset over the fronts. That’s all the difference that is needed

Reactions: VikH
My 22 myp makes grinding sounds when reversing at full lock and slow speeds. It sounds like the front bumper is scraping the ground but it’s clearly not. Our single motor teslas don’t do this, so maybe it’s a dual motor thing?

My 22 myp makes grinding sounds when reversing at full lock and slow speeds. It sounds like the front bumper is scraping the ground but it’s clearly not. Our single motor teslas don’t do this, so maybe it’s a dual motor thing?
The P had staggered wheels, right? Any chance they were rotated such that the back wheels are on the front?