TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Loud grinding/rattling sound from latch motor when closing rear hatch?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by xanatos, Sep 25, 2016.

1. xanatos

xanatos Member

Has anyone here experienced a very loud grinding/rattling sound as the latch motor is closing the latch when you close the trunk using the power lift gate button?

I notice that usually when you press the button, the trunk will drop down, then you can distinctly hear a two-part closing cycle that both sound like the motor whirring and doing something. On other Model S vehicles that I tried, they sound like your typical motor whirring sounds.

But on my 2012 CPO, the first cycle motor sound is ok, but the second cycle motor sound is a loud grinding/rattling noise, as if something is loose or the motor is going bad.

I asked a service advisor to take a listen but he claimed it was normal, but I seriously think something is wrong. So wondering if anyone else has experienced this noise issue?

2. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

Yes, I've had the same issue as you described. My service tech said it was not normal and there was a newer part (I believe) so he installed it and it's much better now. Still makes a whirring sound, but I think that part is normal. Good luck with getting it fixed!

3. xanatos

xanatos Member

Thanks, made an appointment for next week, hope they get it resolved!