Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud high pitch whine only when NOT accelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a loud high pitch whine that occurs primarily when I just barely apply foot pressure to the accelerator -- enough to get the motor pulling the car ever so slightly. A good example is when I maintain speed on a flat surface at 30 mph.

This is the exact same sound as the whine under hard acceleration. But when you're just driving lazy, it is really loud and annoying. Anyone else? I did search the forum quite a bit, but didn't find any other similar posts.

After 5.8, I have an "electrical" sounding noise coming from (seems like) behind the passenger side rear door. It isn't loud. I have to mute the music to hear it. But, it's always there and at exactly the power setting you describe. I can reproduce it every/all the time.

Mine just started doing this after about 14k miles. It is an electrical sounding buzz or whine, sounds like it is coming from the inverter. It is a static-y sound like a high voltage grid transformer makes under some load, which is pretty much what the inverter is. It happens when I lightly press the accelerator between 0 and about 50 kW on the dash meter, and disappears under heavy acceleration above 50kW.
Time for a visit to the service center.
Has anybody else with these symptoms gotten them fixed?