TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Loud high pitch whine only when NOT accelerating

Discussion in 'Technical' started by KKlabunde, Nov 20, 2013.

1. KKlabunde

KKlabunde Member

I have a loud high pitch whine that occurs primarily when I just barely apply foot pressure to the accelerator -- enough to get the motor pulling the car ever so slightly. A good example is when I maintain speed on a flat surface at 30 mph.

This is the exact same sound as the whine under hard acceleration. But when you're just driving lazy, it is really loud and annoying. Anyone else? I did search the forum quite a bit, but didn't find any other similar posts.

2. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

I have the same noise which i don't really remmeber being there previously. Will have tesla take a look at the next service appointment.

3. dgmanny

dgmanny Member

I noticed the same thing after the latest update.

4. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

After 5.8, I have an "electrical" sounding noise coming from (seems like) behind the passenger side rear door. It isn't loud. I have to mute the music to hear it. But, it's always there and at exactly the power setting you describe. I can reproduce it every/all the time.

5. thehunt

thehunt Member

Sounds like a bad drive unit. That's the exact issue I had and once Tesla replaced the drive unit the problem went away.

6. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

I have this too. It is also recent, but it started before I got the 5.8 update. On my list for my yearly service.

7. Beaker

Beaker Sig #997

Same symptoms here.

8. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

ditto. Started recently. Before V5.8