TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Loud hum when going over 75 MPH?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by bdukov, Aug 21, 2014.

1. bdukov

bdukov Member

Anyone else getting a loud hum when going over 75 MPH?

2. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

There is quite a bit of discussion on here regarding this if you search around. Ultimately, its generally attributed to the electric drive motor which could be caused by one of several things. Cable that needs tied back (causes vibration and a hum), a shim required in the motor, or a new drive train. Tesla have in the past just proactively replaced the drive motor I suspect in the future they will try to fix them. Mine does it but hasn't passed the decibel test to get fixed, I suspect it will now they have a shim and cable fix for most issues. take it to your SC on the next visit and they will most likely take care of it.. You have an infinite warranty (or 8 years) so don't sweat. :biggrin:

3. bdukov

bdukov Member

Thanks! Seeing them this Sunday.

4. Argelius

Argelius Member

I've noticed the same thing. I figured it was just because I was going fast... I'll have them address this at my 12 month service.

5. bdukov

bdukov Member

All good now! They replaced the drive motor, and the car is like new again; back to silent running at ANY speed! Why wait? One day repair...